Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 V115 Intermittent/No Spark

Hello,

I have a 1997 Yamaha V115 with an intermittent/no spark problem. I can usually get it fired up initially, but after a while of running, it will die at idle and be very hard to start, sometimes not starting at all.

I checked spark on all 4 plugs and they are intermittent for a couple seconds, then nothing. Let it sit for a while, same thing, little bit of spark, then nothing.

I checked the kill switch wiring, ignition sw wiring by disconnecting the white wire, no difference. Disconnected the whilte wire at the bottom of the CDI, still no spark.

Bad CDI? Any way to test it? Dont want to throw 400 bucks down the drain.

Thanks for your help...I need to go bass fishing!!!!

Have to get a peak reading voltmeter and test pulsor coil, charge coil and CDI output voltage to find problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Had some success tonight. I replaced the ignition switch and cleaned all ground connections. I now have spark wher I had little or none before. The motor will only start however with the throttle wide open and cranking for 5-10 seconds.

The spark dances around the tip of a couple of the plugs, so I'm going to put a new set in tomorrow and try it again.

Comment

Check neutral safety switch

Comment

Neutral safety switch checks out OK. I seem to have good spark now.

Pulled the cover off the carbs and see they are flooding out on shutdown. I'm sure this is why I have had to open the throttle all the way to get it to start.

Removed the carbs tonight and will rebuild them. Looks like they have never been off...1997.

Comment

Working...
          X