No announcement yet.

WOT rpm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if all you want is RPM, toss the prop in the creek.

what you are looking for is a prop that will allow the motor to turn close to its maximum RPM,stay cool and live.

it MUST be propped for the LOAD that day.

Comment

***, really?!? That is your advice, toss the prop in the creek. Yeah, not quite the advice I was looking for but thanks for trying all the same.

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      if all you want is RPM, toss the prop in the creek.

what you are looking for is a prop that will allow the motor to turn close to its maximum RPM,stay cool and live.

it MUST be propped for the LOAD that day.

Comment

what I am trying to get at, its not a simple matter of RPM.
        not every hull/jackplate combination is going to work with the same prop.
        some hulls like the stern lift of a 4 blade.another hull of the same make and model may chine walk with a 4 blade and do better with a 3 blade.

Yamaha,most hull manufactures and most prop shops can help way better than a general repair forum.

mostly its careful notes about WOT RPM and GPS verified speeds to ascertain prop slip percentage.

example, a 13x17 pitch.
        one is a 3 blade with an aggressive rake and a double cup.
        the other a 4 blade with a single cup and a mild rake.
        same pitch and diameter TOTALLY different operating characteristics and different RPM will be achieved on the same engine/hull.

Comment

Ok, that is much clearer than "throw it in the creek"
          Thanks for clarifying. I will see if I can find a local good prop shop after messing around a little more with engine height. I have just been under the impression that running underpowered (rpms) can cause engine damage over long haul just as much as overrevving so just trying to get dialed in right at 5500 rpm wot which is what I was told is the optimum range for this boat/motor.

Thanks!

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          what I am trying to get at, its not a simple matter of RPM.
          not every hull/jackplate combination is going to work with the same prop.
          some hulls like the stern lift of a 4 blade.another hull of the same make and model may chine walk with a 4 blade and do better with a 3 blade.

Yamaha,most hull manufactures and most prop shops can help way better than a general repair forum.

mostly its careful notes about WOT RPM and GPS verified speeds to ascertain prop slip percentage.

example, a 13x17 pitch.
          one is a 3 blade with an aggressive rake and a double cup.
          the other a 4 blade with a single cup and a mild rake.
          same pitch and diameter TOTALLY different operating characteristics and different RPM will be achieved on the same engine/hull.

Comment

Working...
          X