No announcement yet.

2004 200HP HPDI Z200TXRC Lower Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM me or call Joes marine in wanchese NC.
    shop is open M-F 8 to 5.
    you can also call Troy at Troy's marine in portsmouth,tell troy tom says hi.

Comment

Will do Tom, I appreciate all you help! Thanks
      1988 259 Grady White Trophy Pro
      Twin 2004 200HP HPDI TXRC

Comment

Well I managed to get the prop shaft housing out pretty easily, cost me 25 bucks to piece together a puller. Soaked it in PB Blaster for quite some time and it came out without a hitch. GEARS ARE DESTROYED, all of them, pinion gear, fwd and reverse, teeth missing and tons of metal in there. Now for my question:

How the hell do I get the prop shaft out???? I already pulled the shift shaft but I can't get the prop shaft out, can anyone shed some light on this for me. I will post some pictures later of the tool to remove the housing and the torn up gears.

Comment

once the drive shaft and shift shaft are removed the propshaft will slide out.
          unless its jammed in place by debris.
          then out comes my slide hammer,again.
          but I gotta ask.
          why bother?
          its not enough for scrap iron.

Comment

Tom do you think it's not worth fixing if thats possible? The reason I'm leaning towards fixing it is mainly cost. So far to replace the gears and bearing and oil seals, orings. I'm looking at close to 600. I took your advise and checked out the SEI lower units, and it's not a bad deal for 875 however I've read some pretty horrible reviews on there yamaha lower units. I've pretty much got the entire unit disassembled, prop shaft looks fine drive shaft looks fine, the casing is in perfect condition, no corrosion or anything. So I'm just thinking that it would be cheaper to replace everything with OEM parts than spend an extra 275 on some chinese stuff.

Your the expert tom, please tell me if I'm going down the wrong path here. I know assembling everything will be the tough part but I'm pretty pleased how easily everything came out. Here's some pictures let me know what you think.

The Reverse Gear:

The Pinion Gear and FWD Gear inside the casing:

Comment

My Home made carrier puller, cost me 25 buck and worked like a charm!!

Comment

Anyone have any good ideas about getting the drive shaft out? I got the nut off the bottom but i can't seem to get that pinion gear off the drive shaft.

Comment

that puller,dont use it.
                  had you had much corrosion,you would have pulled the carrier out in pieces.

looks like part of the shiht cam is still inside the fwd gear bore.

volvo makes a nice shaft puller to remove the drive shaft,remember to remove the drive shaft bearing housing first.

I use an old propshaft and shift clutch and the old pinion nut.

position it under the nut and smack up on it.
                  its stuck in the taper.

Comment

I haven't had any corrosion at all, the whole lower looks great, prop shaft, drive shaft and the shell are all free of any corrosion.

There is still part of the shift gear shifter in there, it didn't come out with the prop shaft.

I did remove the bearing housing already and soaked everything with PB Blaster, the drive shaft moves up and down about 3/8" but it seems like that pinion gear is stuck on the drive shaft.

I think I found out what caused the failure too, you cant see it in the pictures but there is a small ball bearing stuck in one of the teeth in the fwd gear, either that's what caused it or the lower unit was shimmed properly?

Comment

only thing that uses balls is the shift mechanism,the part thats broke and stuck in the fwd gear.
                      over the years two designs. one used 2 balls the other 4 balls.
                      what does the upper driveshaft flat bearing look like??

Comment

Upper bearing looks fine, no play and no corrosion, the pinion gear looks worse than the fwd and reverse, I'll get some pictures of the drive shaft prop shaft and bearings up tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                        X