2004 200HP HPDI Z200TXRC Lower Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 200HP HPDI Z200TXRC Lower Unit

Had the boat out yesterday, left the inlet, both motors @ 5200 rpm's and flat calm out. about 10 miles from the beach my stbd motor pops out of gear and rev's up to 6200 rpm's. I pulled the throttles back and could hear a grinding sound. Shut the motor off and lifted it up, no line on the prop or anything like that. Put the motor back down and start it up, same thing a nasty grinding noise and the motor is in neutral. Shut it off picked up the motor and ran in on the port. Got home and pulled the lower unit off, splines at the top of the drive shaft looked perfectly fine however I cannot spin the drive shaft by hand, it is locked up. Pulled the water pump off and the oil seals look fine, I can spin the prop by hand like it's in neutral but I can feel some binding and grinding, but the drive shaft will not turn by hand. The lower unit housing looks to be fine, no cracks or anything like that. Where should I start??? Pull the prop and the mess in there?? Anyone have anything similar happen?? Just trying to get an idea of what may have happened and what I'm looking at as far as getting this fixed. Should I take this to a shop or attempt it myself??
    1988 259 Grady White Trophy Pro
    Twin 2004 200HP HPDI TXRC

The gearcase needs to be taken apart to see whats damaged.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

You mean in the lower unit? Like pulling the prop off and then all gutting it and pulling the prop shaft out ? Any special tools I'll need?

Comment

Drain the lower unit fluid to start out with to see if it even had any lube in it and what it looks like( water/ metal).
        The only lower unit I have seen do something like what you described did not have any lube in it
        Then pick up a Yamaha service manual for your motor , it will tell you the steps and special tools needed.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, I do have the service manual, and I'm positive there's lube in there. I changed the lower unit oil in it a couple weeks ago and it came out clean and clear, no water or metal. But thats a great idea, i guess the easiest way to tell if there is a serious failure would be to check the oil. Thanks again for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by astrobud311 View Post
            I'm positive there's lube in there.
            That is what the owner said about his Suzuki DT150, but as it turned out he drained it and was going to pick up some lube next time in town.
            But the old brain fart got him and he forgot all about it. Good thing he had 2 motors on the boat like you other wise it would have been a very expensive tow back to port

Comment

There was defenitly oil in the lower unit, that I am positive about. When I get home I'll drain the lower unit and see what I come up with. I know whatever it is, it's probally gonna be expensive.

Comment

anyone have any ideas how to get the ring nut off after bending the tabs straight? I soaked it in some PB Blaster and tried a flat head but it doesn't budge and it seems you can't even buy the ring nut wrench. Pulled the mag plug on the lower unit and nothing but metal all over it, not fuzz but big chunks of metal. Oil was full and was clean with the exception of the metal in it. No water at all. I also did a leak down test of the lower unit and it held 10psi for well over a minute.

Comment

using a quality drill bit, I prefer bullit point bits cause they dont walk and cut flat,
                  drill two 1/4 to 5/16ths holes about 1/2" apart in the ring WITHOUT damaging the case threads.
                  use a small chiesel to break out that section of ring.
                  now go 180* from where you cracked out that section and drill again.
                  use the chiesel to collapse the ring.
                  takes about 10 min.
                  the tool from yamaha is usless to remove the carrier.
                  the tool in the merc manual will break the carrier.
                  I use the tool for removing thge left hand turn propshaft/carrier and a slide hammer along with oxy/acetylyne.
                  if you use the slide hammer tool you must remove the shift shaft first.
                  your most likly going to find a smoked pinion gear.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rodbolt, any idea on what would cause it?? Lower unit oil is changed out probally twice a year, no water in the oil.

Comment

Drilled the holes but having a hard time getting the section to break out. Rodbolt do you have any pictures of what your talking about, I'll try to post some up later of what I'm working with.

Comment

no pictures, however I do it a couple times a month.
                        if you do lightly damage the case threads there are thread chasers avalible.

two holes close together and one hole 180* over.

use bullit point style bits as the cut flat and dont walk.

Comment

Thanks for your help Rod, I got it out this morning, now I have to figure out how I'm gonna get the prop shaft housing out, looks like I might have to go get some tools. That seems to be the main thing when working on these lower units, thanks for your help again Rod, I have have to take the drive down and bring you this lower unit for Assembly.

Comment

you can use the puller legs from BRP and a harmonic balancer puller or youcan use the left hand case yamaha puller tool and a slide hammer.
                            with either tool you will need oxygen/acetylyne.

Comment

well a torch is def something I don't have, I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far with it and risk destroying the entire lower unit. Maybe I can bring it to you Rod, I'm in Virginia Beach, what shop do you work at?

Comment

Working...
                              X