Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tilt tube leaks greese steering cavatates (wanders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tilt-tube-leaks-greese-steering-cavatates

Ok thanks I will try your suggestions. Its a combination of worn parts it seems. bushings and mounts. Thanks much

Comment

Are you dead sure you don't have an impression in that aluminum hull, like between the ribs?...something less noticable or obvious than a dent? Can you get under the boat to carefully inspect the hull? How is your skeg and prop?...

Comment

Can you get under the boat to carefully inspect the hull for indentations or impressions between the ribs, which can be fairly common with some aluminum hulls? It may not be a big obvious dent, but more of an indentation.
        Good luck and let us know what you find!

Comment

you seemed convinced that grease in tilt tube helped until grease came out. I'd backtrack installation of hydraulic steering installation onto this tube- if connected to the ends or any other way. What perhaps you undid that may not have seated or was not tightened? If you now think wandering has nothing to do with tilt tube then has there been any work done to the engine particularly around the bottom cowling?. The steering tongue or indeed connection to it may have play around the bolts. This may not be it but torque from the motor can show up play when all other inspection fails - I had a Johnston V6 that had a severe steering "moment" that took years to be determined that the bolts attaching power head were not tightened after a custom steering brackett was removed and steering returned to standard that I didn't even know about.
          On another track, all steering has play when wheel turns from left to right and back. This is to do with NFB clutch slipping slightly or if you have hydraulic, the valves acting against change in direction of fluid. This can lead to creeping and can be determined by noting exactly if the steering wheel is always back to the straight ahead position if one wiggles it back and forth vigorously - you will need to have a means to determine if engine is straight ahead eg straight edge clamped to leg and correspondingly pencil marked to hull or transom. A 1/4 inch variation here could cause your problem ; if any variation (not back straight ahead although engine is, then NFB helm faulty (usually can't fix), or valves in hydraulic helm faulty (maybe also costly to fix).

Comment

Working...
          X