Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tilt tube leaks greese steering cavatates (wanders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt tube leaks greese steering cavatates (wanders)

I have a 115 yamaha 4 stroke outboard on my lund. The tilt tube leaks greese everywhere. This quickly causes steering to wander in one direction then the other. I replaced the original tilt switch actuator one zerk fitting leaks and leaks at bushings. I went ahead this year and installed hydraulic steering system. So I know its not the old cable or helm as they are now removed. As you correct for wandering direction you feel spots in steering that seem to tighten up just a bit. How do I get rid of this wandering problem? Is this going to be very expensive again?
    Is it the tilt tube itself? Please help however you can willing to take it in for repair I just need to know whats involved so I don't get ripped off.

noting to do with the tilt tube.
    no seals and grease comes out.
    check your steering system for air.

Comment

If it was doing this with the old cable steering system and now also with the new hydraulic steering system, then It may be due to the boat/motor set up.
      Is it at speed or just ***** speed?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        check your steering system for air.
        Sorry your wrong it did the same thing with the old NFB system. I bled the new system properly and it works fine no air at all in system. It's something to do with the tilt tube itself.

Comment

Tilt tube leaks greese steering cavatates (wanders)

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          If it was doing this with the old cable steering system and now also with the new hydraulic steering system, then It may be due to the boat/motor set up.
          Is it at speed or just ***** speed?
          It does this at all speeds. Much more noticeable at *****ing speeds. At higher speeds I notice Im not tracking my trails on the GPS slowly going off course although the wheel is not moving. What is do you mean by boat/motor setup? At *****ing speed you must correct for steering left by turning slightly right. Then the boat will move too much to the right and you have to correct by turning left. Each time it seems more and more correction is required to keep the boat going straight. I KNOW this is wrong. I've had the boat since new in 2004. This began last year and improves when you regreese the tilt tube. but the greese comes out after turning the wheel a few times and the wandering begins again. It is NOT the steering system components including the cylinder or the helm pump. One guy suggested it was air in the system, not true I guess it is a common problem but not this time. The motor turns freely when steering is disconnected. Not binding. Dangerous as I have to travel up a narrow creek to get home at night and the wandering makes it impossible.
          Last edited by Ziggy678; 05-13-2012, 10:43 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Most all boats "wander" due to wind, currents, steering torque, etc. Some boat's hull designs and set-ups could contribute, more or less, to
            wandering"....Just a thought...Good Luck!

Comment

Yeah thats what they all say. Listen I've owned this boat for 8 years. The thing NEVER wandered like this. People are all wrong about this,... it is NOT normal and never was. I dont know why it occurs. But I know it isn't normal because for 7 years the boat tracked like it was on a rail. I wish someone with knowledge of actually repairing this problem would post. I want to know what part or parts is causing this problem which happens at all speeds. Sorry robert and others this is something bent or broken or corroded or loose or defective or bad in whatever way. Because my boat never did this before!!!!! Got it people MY BOAT NEVER DID THIS BEFORE!!!!! IT AINT NORMAL. Please someone with repair experience help me out here. If you have this problem,..... it is NOT normal because you own a deep V or because it's an outboard or wind NO something is not right with this boat or motor period. It's not a slight wander... this thing is all over the place left then right then left then right. At high speeds it can be very dangerous. Please dont tell people this is normal.... The thing is uncontrolable and could easily cause an accident on the water. Dont be the idiot on the water with a defective boat causing accidents because you listen to someone online who doesn't know. Be safe out there and don't assume. Can someone really help with good mechanical advise????? I sound angry here but Im not, I'm frustrated because no one seems to get it. It's Broken!!!

Comment

It appears that you have determined that the steering problem does not exist in the actuator (hydraulic system). At this point I would disconnect the steering from the motor completely. leaving the engine disconnected from the steering. Now you need to make sure that there is looseness in the mountings of the engine, try lifting and lowering the engine,(you can use the power tilt) looking for movement in the tilt tube, the swivel bracket, any shafts going through the brackets, engine rubber mounts, and engine to boat mounts. Now with the engine tilted in several different positions try to shake the engine vigorously from side to side,while checking the same locations as before. If there is something loose, you will find it. If you can see some movement,try to localise it by the judicious use of a suitable prise. From what you are telling us there should be considerable movement somewhere.

Comment

First of all, telling someone they are "wrong" EXPECIALLY one of the most knowledgeable ones on these forums, is just bad etiquette. Rodbolt as well as many others on here have bent over backwards helping us. And for free. If you take the time and read you will also see what I am saying. I have never met Rodbolt but you can bet that after I have read his post and his responses, If he told me my motor was put on upside down, I would not doubt him. My suggestion is to listen to what he says, and if you are still not satisfied, take it to the shop and "pay" them for their opinion. Maybe if you shell out some money, you might believe what you hear.
                  I got a boat now "bout time" took me 50 years to do so

Comment

Originally posted by doonda61 View Post
                    First of all, telling someone they are "wrong" EXPECIALLY one of the most knowledgeable ones on these forums, is just bad etiquette. Rodbolt as well as many others on here have bent over backwards helping us. And for free. If you take the time and read you will also see what I am saying. I have never met Rodbolt but you can bet that after I have read his post and his responses, If he told me my motor was put on upside down, I would not doubt him. My suggestion is to listen to what he says, and if you are still not satisfied, take it to the shop and "pay" them for their opinion. Maybe if you shell out some money, you might believe what you hear.
                    No,.... jumping to conclusions is bad etiquette. In my first post if you read it I stated I replaced the steering system with a hydraulic type. I stated The grease leaks out of the tilt tube. He said no seals and grease comes out. So I grease it and it comes out when you turn. I understood his response to say my grease was NOT leaking out! It leaks out so maybe it was a typo. None of your concern anyway. Maybe you should shell out the money for me since you are so concerned for things that are none of your concern and you know nothing about. Can you help by giving me an informed answer to my situation??? NO so why do you even respond to me? That's the problem here you should mind your own business. Im sure the guy is as you say but that has nothing to do with it. I did not insult him in my response I just stated he was wrong. I've seen many people online without an ounce of reason, butt in without a constructive response just trying to foul things up. Hmmm

Comment

O.K., maybe check your trim tab fin/sacrificial anode to be sure it's adjusted properly and good and tight. Also on an aluminum boat, you could have a dent or impression in the hull, possibly towards the back of the boat near the transom that could definitely cause wandering. A dent could happen while launching or retrieving or if you ran up on a stump or a rock at some time. Check it out and Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bumperfood View Post
                        It appears that you have determined that the steering problem does not exist in the actuator (hydraulic system). At this point I would disconnect the steering from the motor completely. leaving the engine disconnected from the steering. Now you need to make sure that there is looseness in the mountings of the engine, try lifting and lowering the engine,(you can use the power tilt) looking for movement in the tilt tube, the swivel bracket, any shafts going through the brackets, engine rubber mounts, and engine to boat mounts. Now with the engine tilted in several different positions try to shake the engine vigorously from side to side,while checking the same locations as before. If there is something loose, you will find it. If you can see some movement,try to localise it by the judicious use of a suitable prise. From what you are telling us there should be considerable movement somewhere.
                        Thank you I will likely bring it in for repair. You have given me several things to try an I appreciate your informed constructive response. I will un hook the cylinder from the motor and try every position. It must be a mount or bracket or a combination of them. Thanks again now I can be more informed when I bring it in. I just hope it's not too expensive, but obviously I want it right.

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                          O.K., maybe check your trim tab fin/sacrificial anode to be sure it's adjusted properly and good and tight. Also on an aluminum boat, you could have a dent or impression in the hull, possibly towards the back of the boat near the transom that could definitely cause wandering. A dent could happen while launching or retrieving or if you ran up on a stump or a rock at some time. Check it out and Good Luck!
                          Yes they are tight thanks. Oh yes that was my original thought , that I dented the hull somehow but all seems well there. I think bumperfood has directed me in the right direction. Thanks guys and I will get back to you again.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            Rodbolts statement here is correct.
                            tilt tube just allows motor to tilt while attached to boat, nothing to do with the steering except steering cable ran through it on the old cable steering.
                            Unless the tube is rusted away and falling apart, I see no indication it could ever cause boat wondering.

There are no seals on the tube just bushings and grease will leak out of the bushings when you pump grease into the 2 fittings like he said.

Maybe you are not thinking of or talking about the tilt tube

Comment

with the engine down grab the cavitation plate and shake vigorously left and right.
                              observe where the lost motion is.
                              could be motor mounts,air in the cylinder or the tilt tube bushings, but there are no seals and as you pump grease in it simply comes out.

Comment

Working...
                              X