2000 200 sx txry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 200 sx txry

I am getting 13+V from main charging circuit but only 11V from aux charge side, does this mean the reg is bad ?
    trying to double check numbers from starboard side but apparently i have some more just in VST.....
    Last edited by jb123; 11-26-2011, 01:47 PM.

Only one regulator I think, they both should be the same
    13.5v may mean regulator is starting to go and I would think they should be higher, 14.5 to 15 Volts
    unless it has two output circuit, maybe need to see if there is a bad connection some where.
    could a bad battery be dragging it down?

Not sure what you mean by "apparently i have some more just in VST..... "

Comment

couldnt test starboard motor output as ethanol has gotten me again, will try to get readings later today
      the port motor runs fine, charges main batt fine but after checking aux output for house batt found low output

Comment

yes, port - 13.5 on main and 10+ on aux circuit
        starboard is 14 on main and 12.75 on aux....

hopefully BOTH motors regs arent going out/ bad

Comment

Your service manual should give you specs on the peak voltage into the regulator loaded(connected) and unloaded( disconnected checks just the lighting coil)
          Make sure you are getting the proper input.

Peak voltage is read with a DVA adapter and meter or the correct peak reading meter made for these systems

Comment

With 99yam here. Didn't know it had an aux charging circuit. There is a 12 volt isolated aux feed wire that isn't connected to anything on mine. Where are you getting the readings? Would think the output would be the same.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

i have 4- maybe 12 ga sized reds coming out of the reg, 2 go to one side of the main fuse holder (main) and the other 2 go thru the fuse block/another fuse with which i ASSUME is the aux charge side,round unused clear plug

the different output readings from these are telling me both of my regs are not putting out what they need/supposed to.....
              i an NOT the best when it comes to electrical,better with the mechanical side

Comment

like I said ,I would test the lighting coil output to make sure they are in specs before saying it is the reg, just to make sure.

Make sure to use the test equipment the manual calls for.

Where were you measuring the voltage and with what type of meter?

Comment

measuring reg output @ main fuse holder with a regular digital volt/amp meter

Comment

Just brought up a good thread about testing systems. The rodbolt said without a DVA adapter your multimeter will read about 30% lower than actual voltage. Getting ready to get one, about $35.
                    1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                    1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

DVA adapters are cheap and it is a pain to find the parts to make one yourself, but it can be done.
                      A box to put it all in, a capacitor, diode, resistor, wires, and some connectors

Comment

If the aux leads from regulator are not connected to a battery you may get different output readings since the regulator does regulate charge voltage as needed.
                        Regards
                        Boats.net
                        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

THAT was helpful as the port side isnt connected yet

Comment

That was something that would have been good to know in the beginning, but come to think of it , the house battery would only need to be hooked up to one charging source not both.

I assumed you were having problems with the house battery running down from what you had posted.

But the main still is a little low from what I have seen in the past

Comment

have had starboard aux hooked up for a few months to house batt, checked output from aux lead with + & - disconnected, had 12+ so wasnt concerned

now hooking up port, havent run off the aux yet but in checking voltage, both leads disconnected, found it to be low

concerns me as checking both the same way produces different results

i read in other areas that batt switch positions should NOT be changed while motor is running, i have had these motors for 10 years and have done this in the past. is this a no-no? apparently NOT the case with the aux as they are not always used.

is the correct way to check output on both sides of the reg to put the meter inbetween the pos side of the reg out ?/ with it connected?

Comment

Working...
                              X