Mid section bushing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid section bushing question

I have a 2006 F150 with the extended mid section (located between the lower unit and main mid section-with the longer drive shaft). I did a search but couldn't find anything about the bushing apparently added by Yamaha to help support the longer drive shaft. When servicing the water pump or R&R'ing the lower unit, this bushing MUST be lubed or it will squeel with time.. The bushing itself is held in the case with a circlip, has thin rubber pieces holding/centering the center bushing (that the drive shaft actually goes thru).

Question, has anyone removed this bushing permanently? Any consequences if removed? Obviously, if this bushing is lubed yearly its fine, much longer than that it'll squeel..

Thanks ahead of time.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

why would you want to remove it? Yamaha put it there for a reason and it only needs routine servicing.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
      why would you want to remove it? Yamaha put it there for a reason and it only needs routine servicing.
      Because I don't change out the water pump yearly, (I replaced it once after the first year and it was in new condition). I don't want to have to R&R the lower unit to grease a very thin bushing that's held together with very thin rubber "arms". I don't see it giving much, if any, additional support to a drive shaft that's approx 5" longer than one without (because of the added mid section-deeper V transom)
      Scott

Comment

I would believe they had a problem with out it, so this was there fix.
        It cost money to design and insert parts, They don't do things just for the fun of it

Comment

I wouldn't remove it. Maybe drop your lower unit, polish the drive shaft where it passes through the bushing and grease it with a grease specified by Yamaha(Maybe a heavy silicone based gease?) that would last for several years. Call Yamaha for their recommendations on the grease. Good Luck!

Comment

Bushing

The last time I re-installed the lower unit I used the grease specified by Yamaha. Marine wheel bearing grease doesn't cut it (don't ask)....

This bearing/guide (which I looked at a new one at the parts counter) is extremly light duty which is why I asked....

The marina was out of it so the head service person gave me a scoopful which was applied by myself and been fine since.
            Scott

Comment

I've heard of folks getting access to the driveshaft somewhere right under the powerhead and spraying silicone down on top of that bushing, but I'm not sure where. Guess a resourceful guy could drill a very small hole in just the right place so lubricant could be sprayed in on the driveshaft/bushing, then plug the small hole with a screw until next time? There has to be a way to skin that cat! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                I've heard of folks getting access to the driveshaft somewhere right under the powerhead and spraying silicone down on top of that bushing, but I'm not sure where. Guess a resourceful guy could drill a very small hole in just the right place so lubricant could be sprayed in on the driveshaft/bushing, then plug the small hole with a screw until next time? There has to be a way to skin that cat! Good Luck!
                The only way to lubricate that bushing is to remove the lower unit and grease the bushing/shaft.

As stated above, marine wheel bearing grease will not hold up and silicone is lighter yet. And yes you can spray silicone, oil, etc from the top down...

Salt water as well will go down there and wash away anything NOT WATERPROOF or designed not to fling off in extreme marine conditions..

Its about dead center of the mid section and the bushing that rides up against the drive shaft is very, very thin (way to thin to tap anything).

If there was a shortcut to fixing it, I'd find it...

IE, I had problems with the factory speedometer clogging up with salt water. A "T" fitting before the engine and in the center console was installed.

Up in the center console I hooked up a tire valve to the "T" fitting with a short piece of hose. I can now flush out the engine orifices and all the lines with fresh water (I use a piece of cut hose with a "V" cut out in the end to go over the intake at the front of the foot to force fresh water in). I let it drain then hook up a small portable 12 volt air compressor to the upper line. It blows ALL the water out of the lines and engine, nothing left to solidify.

The speedomter is now accurate down to 4 MPH and is within 2 MPH at about 41 MPH...

Thanks for your suggestion thou..
                Scott

Comment

I just replaced that bushing. It was totally destroyed. Had to freeze the bearing for 2 hours then lubricated the rubber and slammed it in with the back of a socket and extension, then put the clip on. Purchased a high temp grease that was rated to 580 degrees and lubricated the shaft. Hope it works ok but sounds good as of now. I was told if you do not Lubricate it with a hi temp grease, it will go bad again.

Comment

mid section bushing

I was told by the service manager either use a grease Yamaha makes (they didn't have any in stock) or some Evinrude/Johnson Triple Guard Grease (the blue stuff) which is water proof.

I used the Yamaha grease he gave me and so far so good.

I have used the Triple guard grease in other applications and it seems to work extremly well.

Next time the lower unit comes out, I'll be trying that...

Thanks for your response as well....
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X