Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    cause your splattergunning.
    the service manual entry you posted is the reassembly instructions IF the engine were completely torn down not just replacing a defective balancer assy.
    note the date on the tech bulliten.
    I replaced my first balancer in 06 and I have NEVER EVER removed the flywheel.
    its not difficult, its a simple machine with a set of gears.
    keyway F is where the tab with the triangle mark is going to be.
    splattergunning, ok?

Yes, I realize the procedure I posted was for a completely torn down engine. The point I was trying to get across is that they still don't tell you to set the engine at TDC when reinstalling the counter balancer.

So if the keyway F is the triangle why don't they line it up with the casting tab in the block?

Ok so this is the engine at TDC,

This is the engine in alignment for installation of the counter balancer, note the location of the casting tab, the key is aligned with the MACHINED SURFACE of the cylinder block and crank case cover!

Think about it, if this engine needed to be at TDC for a counter balancer replacement wouldn't the tech bulletin tell you to set the engine at TDC? Instead they tell you to make sure 20* btdc mark is centered on the bendix!

I hate to say it but you have been doing it wrong since 2006! In my line of work I usually don't get a second chance, its gotta be right the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by just add water View Post

splattergunning, ok?

I hate to say it but you have been doing it wrong since 2006!

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war

Comment

dunno seahorse.
        how many F150 powerhead assy's have you replaced?
        when you get the block and head assy it comes in two boxs.
        1 box has a block assy with a balancer installed and the other box has an assembled head,unless Yamaha only autherized a block assy in that case you reuse the old head.
        Yamaha does not install the head nor the flywheel and starter before installing the new balancer.
        it came from carefully studying how and why the balancer is set up.
        I also had an argument with a tech rep that kept telling me the piton had to be TDC compression stroke.
        the piston has no idea if its on compression stroke or not nether does the balancer.
        note in your first picture b and a.
        that mark is visible with the flywheel installed.
        why the tech dept,not yamaha enginering wants to use the bendix and the 20* mark? I have no clue.
        however if you continue scrolling down and look at the diagram for installing the balancer with the head off when assembling the block its about the same as what I said. mark a is actually inline with keyway f.
        like I said,that bulliten came out in late 08,by then the design flaws of the first two balancer designs was readily apperant.
        if you wanted to use the flywheel and timing tab marks they MUST be verified accurate with a dial indicator FIRST.

Comment

Rodbolt, have to disagree.

Doesn't matter which method you use, the end result is the same. The balancer is timed with the crankshaft keyway turned 90 deg to line up with the engine block/crankcase parting line, not the triangle casting mark.

If you use TDC the balancer will not be correct.

The Yamaha long and shortcut methods accomplish the same thing.
          Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
          16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

Working...
          X