4 stroke Lower Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 stroke Lower Units

I have been seeing a few yamaha 4 strokes up for sell at cheap prices. They are claiming the motor runs fine just needs a foot or they had burnt the foot up. I was wondering is a 4 stroke lower unit similar to a 2 stroke?? Mechanically wise. I have repaired a few 2 stroke lower units and are considering getting one of these 4 strokes, unless yall tell me a 4 stroke foot is a night and day difference. I just don't see how it is could be. But I have never owned a 4 stroke so i don't know. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by 19capehorn; 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM.

as far as I know 4 stroke gear cases are the same as 2 strokes..just different drive shafts and shift rods probably. Be careful because just because a 4-stroke cranks up and idles good ..does not mean that it does not have mechanical issues..best to pay $100 for a computer diagnostic print out, from a dealer.

Comment

Thanks Sparkie will do. One guy wants 200. for a fifty HP and the other guy wants 400 for a 40 hp. An extra 100. ain't going to break the bank..

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkieboat View Post
        as far as I know 4 stroke gear cases are the same as 2 strokes..just different drive shafts and shift rods probably. Be careful because just because a 4-stroke cranks up and idles good ..does not mean that it does not have mechanical issues..best to pay $100 for a computer diagnostic print out, from a dealer.

Not sure if a computer print out will tell much on a 40 & 50, but I may be wrong.
        Leak down test will give some info on cylinders being able to seal though.

Comment

For that price I would take a chance on motor

The lower units on these yamaha's are not there strong points in materials. Ive played around with a few mercury's and the stainless steel is higher grade for sure.

Comment

I did not know what HP the motors were at first...A leak down test would be a good thing to do..if they are EFI then they should have a ECU that would produce a print out of everything about the motor..at least I think..I really do not have any motors that small, I mostly mess with V-4s and V-6s..but the computer print out is very handy..but for a $200 motor I may bypass it, and just do the leak down test.

Comment

Tooo Good to be true. An Update. I went after both motors and they could not tell me much about them, mechanically wise. So i said if you give me all the numbers off the plate or shoot a pic of it and send it to me I would look them up. Figuring i would come on here and put in the make and model and get all the info. And poof magically they were sold??? Hmmm makes ya wonder huh...

Comment

there are a lot of scammers out there ..be careful..always take a friend or 2 with you when you go to look at anything off of an ad. I usually have a pistol or 2..you never know

Comment

Working...
                X