Idle problem that corrected itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle problem that corrected itself?

I have a 1988 175 hp two stroke. When fishing the ocean going crabbing after a long drive the idle dropped down about 300 rpms to around 500 to 600 rpm's while idleing and then intermittently die due to a low idle. Normally it runs around 900 rpm's. After a couple of trips I checked my oil level which was almost empty in the main tank. I filled it up and the next time I went out it ran perfect. Does anyone know if this has some sort of an alarm function to cause the idle to drop down as a warning to the owner.
    Last edited by wildturkey; 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM.

When was the last time you drained and cleaned the oil tanks and changed the filters and tested the system like the manual says?
    You may need to check the alarm system also and the compression if it really ran out of oil

Comment

It did not run out of oil. It was an inch above the bottom of the main 2 gallon tank in the front of the boat. Never drained the oil or changed any oil filter if there is one! Like I said, it is running great now. Just curious if the idle would lower it's RPM normally if the main tank was getting low.

Comment

it will not do that for low level on main ( remote)tank.
        But the low level on the tank on the motor will sound an alarm and limit the RPM to around 2K if it gets low enough

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Not sure why it is running back to normal again. But that is the good news. Nothing worse than my fun toy not running right.

Comment

Working...
          X