No announcement yet.

Stalling Yamaha F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would give them (yamaha customer support) a call, they may be sympathetic to your situation especially after a call the dealer and confirm your story. It may get you a brand new motor..it would be worth a shot anyway, worst they could do is say we don't care let the dealer handle it. which I hope would not be their response.
    I know that you cannot always prove out a motor in one or 2 trips..specially these newer ones with many sensors and computers. that motor should preform for you every time and provide years of service without a major problem so long as you care for it properly, which it sounds like you do.

Comment

I would be looking at the fuel pressures.
      It would not be the 1st time fuel problems showed up all of a sudden especially if running through rough water, seems it will stir up the fuel in the tank and start plugging up screens and filters.
      You are a brave soul running out fishing at 18 deg F and I wounder what that cold temp will do to fuel especially if there is ethanol and moisture in it.

Let us know what they find out

Comment

at those low temps, 99 may be onto something..maybe the ethenol is geling up..are you using any type of fuel antigel additive??? odd that it cranks and idles fine then stalls at off idle..I actually have a 2003 f115 doing the same thing. Rod has suggested a VST cleaning which I am about to do right now. I made a video of my problem, but I am getting some skipping up until 7/8 throttle then it runs perfect up to WOT. here is the link for my video.
        YouTube - 2003 Yamaha F115 stalling
        is this what your motor is doing???
        here is the forum post for my problem
        http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...e-th15590.html
        Last edited by Sparkieboat; 02-03-2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

the F115 and F150 are different monsters.
          dont compare them.
          I did warn you about your dealer though.
          dunno why you simply wont BELIEVE that that motor will run PERFECT if the only thing wrong was a .76V as opposed to .72V on a TPS at idle.
          its a dirt simple speed density EFI system that runs open loop.
          however if the tech has no clue how to fake the ECU occasionally your sunk.
          if it wasnt so cold I may come help.
          18* means I am INSIDE.
          if I need a frozen fish, food lion has them .
          but do call the yamaha consumer line, its not a motor issue, its a technician issue.
          your fighting at least TWO issues, possibly another with a tech induced issue.

Comment

Stalling Yamaha

sparkieboat, my motor was doing the identical stall when the throttle was pushed forward as in your video. Not so much now , just enough to turn it into a dock crasher at times. They have somehow now created a fuel starvation problem .
            Rodbolt, I'm screwed . When that approach of having the throttle plates ajar slightly, the tec. doubted my ancestry. Not to my face but to the dealer. He is covering a problem by maladjusting the motor. I have lost faith in the credibility of the tec. He hasn't a clue. After one more test by myself at the lake , if the problem of fuel starvation isn't cured , I'm calling Yamaha direct. Politely!
            I had a Force 125 for 20 years on a Bayliner and except for " ONE " power pack it never gave me a problem. This Yamaha is a badly designed motor. high sierra PS I use stabil and mmo in my gas all the time at the required amount. I also quit fishing when it's in the single digits as the fuel lines and cables jackets sometimes crack. You got to be tough to get old.
            Last edited by high sierra; 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

dude
              I ran an Elgin 45 WITH auto bail for 10 years, the 75 chysler that me and some buddies went in on in 1982 is still cruising lake benbrook TX.
              its NOT the motor, is techs that are clueless.
              too much **** boy time not enough actualy knowing nor careing about the job.
              the last 2 techs I had to fire, I fired them cause they wuz dumber tham me and simply did not care.
              ignorance I can cure, stupid I cannot.
              laptop is a great tool, it usually only tells me what ghost NOT to chase.

Comment

I was not really trying to compare my 115 problem with his 150..I just thought it was curious we both had similar issues..I am sure that they are very different monsters. My gaskets should be in tomorrow and I should get that VST cleaned.

Rodbolt, I have an 18 year old son who has a very strong work ethic, I should send him to you to train and then I will start a Yamaha Dealership here in Savannah. I am sure my son would catch on quickly. I enjoy working on outboards, I grew up working on muscle cars..I still have my 67 GTO..but I do little auto mechanic work anymore.

I agree with a polite phone call to Yamaha customer relations..they will not have a clue of your plight unless you call them. they may be very willing to help you out.

And I do not blame Rod for not flying out to the frozen tundra..LOL

Comment

www.xtranorma.../watch/7452561/

dont be this guy.

Comment

link did not work for me

Comment

not for me also.
                      Wonder what it is.
                      Probably a funny one

Comment

google mechanic vs customer.
                        its hilarious.

Comment

Yamaha stalling

Today! Another fishing day cut short by a non functioning 150 YAMAHA. I'm totally pissed. high sierra

Comment

dude
                            I know its frustrating but thats what happens when dealerships dont TRAIN techs.
                            I looked up the dealership your using.
                            not ONE tech with OUTBOARD training.
                            all are wave runner or motor sports.
                            yes all 3 are made by yamaha but NONE are the same.
                            you now have technician induced issues.
                            you can unplug the TPS and the engine wil still run.
                            your symptoms:ign timing fixed at 10*BTDC fast idle and top speed cannot be reached but it will run.
                            same as any other single sensor failure however certain failures will allow top speed to be reached but idle will still be high.
                            if the link and sync is done per the service manual you most likly will see stalling at off idle speeds between 700 and 1000 RPM.
                            not all did that but most.
                            I figgured it out in august of 07 on my personal F150.
                            keep all records, call yamaha on the consumer line and be polite and explain what is happening and ask where the closest dealership with actual trained techs is located and can they assist with any goodwill travel pay.

Comment

Yamaha stalling

I went out to the lake yesterday and the same problems occured. We were doing jigging which entails shifting out of gear and back into gear and slight advances of the throttle.. It stalled roughly 25 times. When we first went out within ten minutes the power dropped enough it was hard to keep on plane so we cut the travel distance short. To me and this is only me, the motor is getting louder, is rattling , the balance shafts can now be heard and it feels like a motor that is about to seize as it looses power. A couple of times when I pulled off the throttle, the motor didn't stop at idle , it just quit. I can hear a change in sound of the engine before it looses RPM. It stalled 3 times coming in to the dock.
                              I called the dealer as soon I got back and he wants one more sea trial with the tech. This will be three trials. I said the tech has already had his chance but the dealer insists. He says he will ask for a new motor if they can't find the problem.. I realize all the Yamaha engines are not like this one but this is a dog, a grey dog. Linc and sync was done by the tech.
                              This friend of mine now is too nervous to go in the boat until it's fixed. The lake has a scary reputation for drownings. high sierra

Comment

AGAIN
                                your blaming Yamaha for monkey techs they have no control over.
                                you said earlier the balancer was replaced, most likly the balancer gear timing wasnt set correctly if the new balancer is screaming now.
                                the balancers made after 2008 incorperated a revised oiling system thats pretty much eliminated the issue.
                                however it MUST be timed correctly and the techs at YOUR dealership have NO training from yamaha OUTBOARD.
                                kinda like going to a proctologist to get your sore throat checked.
                                both are medical doctors, both have different specialized training.
                                if I had a jet ski I would look for a jet ski spe******t with traing certs on the wall, if I had an outboard I would not look for jet ski training on the wall.
                                odds are against you getting a new engine from yamaha due to tech induced falures.
                                its most likly simply not going to happen.
                                trust me, I looked at the dealerships training on the dealership you sent me.
                                no one had any outboard training certs.
                                its also a problem when a dealership is trying to sell and service more product than they can train and retain competent techs for that specific product line.
                                this is what can happen when you start randomly swapping parts and pokin-n-hopin.
                                were it in my shop monday.
                                I would do a leakdown test FIRST.
                                I would do the link and sync procedure as I posted it NOT as per service manual.
                                \oneday maybe the manual will reflect it.
                                then I would test the ISC valve and the MAP sensor.
                                then I would water test with the laptop on record and monitoring fuel rail pressures.
                                if all passed the next step would be the injectors sent out and tested for contamination.
                                I dont have a lot of experience with 6000ft above se*****l work.
                                however with speed density EFI you dont need to.
                                speed density refers to two engine paremeters, density of the air(amount of oxygen avalible) and engine RPM.
                                the ECU will take these two paremeters and try to maintain a 14 parts of air to one part of fuel ratio.
                                this is the function of the map sensor.
                                on the F150 at key on power the map sensor takes a barometric reading that is locked into the ecu for the entire key on cycle.
                                this combined with intake air temp gives the ECU the information on avalible oxygen.
                                simple to test, turn the key on,engine off, compare the MAP sensor to your local weather channels barometric pressure reading. the two should be very close.
                                then remember MAP reading on a running engine simply measures mass air pressure in the intake, its inverse of intake vacum.
                                if the map sensor gives incorrect information to the ECU at key on power the ECU will react to it even though its wrong.
                                same as intake air temp.
                                in range failures wont set codes but the ECU will react to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X