86 70 hp Loss of power then fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 70 hp Loss of power then fine

I have a small but anoying problem. Boat idles fine, starts fine and goes good at 3/4 throttle. It is the transition. When you bring up the throttle it seems slugish like it is on 1 or 2 cyl. Then it takes of to 20kts. If you bump the choke when it is being slugish it will take right off "kind of dangerous if your not hanging on" New plugs, cleaned one carb that the needle and seat was stuck on. Pulled all plugs and they all look the same tan colored and not wet. Any ideas. I am leaning towards the other two carbs in that maybe they are slightly gummed up too.
    Miss Kate

cleaned one carb?? you dont just brush one tooth do you?

Comment

Come on, JB, don't be so hard on Miss Kate - but I do agree with JB in that if one carb is gummed up then the others will be also. It's carb rebuild time!
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the sarcasim. I will let you know what happens with the bottom two. TKS.

Comment

Miss Kate,
          What are you using to clean the carbs? Are you going to install carb kits? I will recommend Berryman's Chemtool for a solvent - and if you aren't going to install kits, you might want to do a shock treatment with Seafoam after you clean the carbs. Let us know how it turns out.
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

I did and injection tune with the foam and all of the carb look great. Engine just rebuild in 2000. I sent you a message.

Comment

Ken,
              My name is Jason. I pulled all of the carbs apart and cleaned them good. There is rubber caps over all of the idle Pilot jet pick ups in the carb. bowl. In the manual it states "if used install cap over jet" for the reassembly of the carb. Do you think I should try leaving it off? Since it is idle that is running rough or will it flood out? Thanks again for all the info. What kind of beer do you drink. I will send a few to TX.
              Jason

Comment

Jason,
                I can't really say what to do about the plugs over the idle jets pickup - I would go by what the Yamaha shop manual says - were the plugs there when you tore down the carbs?
                Thanks for the offer on the beer - my brand is any that is cold and wet! (Just kidding - Coors Light). If you are ever in this part of the world, look me up, I'll take you fishing and you can buy the beer!
                Good luck,
                Ken K

Comment

They were on all three carbs so I guess they should be there. I bought the motor used and its hard to tell what has been done to it. I will put them back on tommorrow and let you know how they work out. If they had Tella Beer like Tella florist I would hook you up. How close are you to South Padre. I have a good friend in the CG there and may come to shoot some doves this fall.
                  Jason

Comment

They were on all three carbs so I guess they should be there. I bought the motor used and its hard to tell what has been done to it. I will put them back on tommorrow and let you know how they work out. If they had Tella Beer like Tella florist I would hook you up. How close are you to South Padre. I have a good friend in the CG there and may come to shoot some doves this fall.
                    Jason

Comment

Cleaned them up real good. Runs like a champ. Thanks again Ken. Check this guy out if you ever need used outboard parts. He is from the fresh water part of NC. He know these yamies. KMboatparts@aol.com

Comment

Clean all the carbs using small copper wire to clean the jets WITH a carb solvent, replace squeeze bulbs and check tanks for dirt and water. Finally check for and replace tank filter and you should be fine. - Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X