Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you have posted on a 6 year old thread.
    start a new thread of your own and give all motor info
    Last edited by 99yam40; 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Necroposting. So what? It's still a constant problem with thousands of owners of these engines. At least that's my opinion after having read about these engines for hours and hours on many different engine and boating forums.

One of my engines is sublime. Just perfect. The other is a scalding POS. A 14,000 dollar POS with less than 200 hours on it.

Staying on top of what others have done to address this issue is vitally important to those with these LEMONS on their transoms. Perhaps eventually, someone will come up with an answer. As of now, there are dozens of answers. And given how few people really run their engines more than 50-100 hours per season, I submit that many of those "solutions" are only temporary and will prove to be folly the next season.

1. I have checked all my fuel lines and trimmed the ends (to minimize the chance of a split. From tank to engine. All new clamps. Hoses all in perfect condition.

2. Replaced both bulbs with new YAM parts.

3. Replaced both Racor filters and ensured that the mating surfaces at the element were spotless and true to eliminate any chance of a vacuum leak. No crud evident in the old filters. No evidence of ethanol issues.

4. Swapped the entire fuel supply from port eng to starboard. Still, only the port engine fails. Pretty sure that eliminates anything upstream from the engine being the issue.

5. Swapped the in-line "check valve, or PSI valve down from the F filter to the VST from port eng to starboard. No fix.

6. Pulled and cleaned the first stage fuel filter (clean as a whistle).

7. Pulled and cleaned the VST and internal filter (both clean as a whistle).

8. Replaced the F filter.

My "problem engine" ran flawlessly for three days recently, even with prolonged idle operations. Then, all of its gremlins reappeared out of the blue. Just when you think you're stumbled across a solution (for no good reason or fault found), you're back to zero. If I were buying new today, would I go to the Yam shop first?

This week I pulled the injectors on both engines and sent them out for service. The port (bad) engine only turns about 4300, the starboard about 5200. I figure that the age of the engines and low hours means that they sat (verified) and probably could stand the service in spite of my other issues.

These threads need to be updated. No sense in reading the same crap twice and floundering around trying to remember who said what. There are hundreds of them. Many with just a few replies, and NO solutions.

2005 F225 TURD
      Last edited by oldmako69; 03-30-2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Don't want to pollute a thread but if anyone is putting ethanol gas in their boats they should expect nothing but problems.

Comment

last problem child like this I simply cleaned the corrosion off the gasket surface of the water separator head.
          not every issue is the same. that is why it is best to post a new thread and not thread hop.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            last problem child like this I simply cleaned the corrosion off the gasket surface of the water separator head.
            I guess that would show up as bubbles while running with clear tubing on the lift pump suction side?

Comment

Originally posted by willied1 View Post
              Don't want to pollute a thread but if anyone is putting ethanol gas in their boats they should expect nothing but problems.
              Virtually every boat in Virginia Beach is burning E10...well, except the diesels. There is no non ethanol fuel available here.

Comment

I have had one problem in ten years of using E-10 - entirely due to a 2005 era Mercury Quicksilver primer bulb hose being unsuitable.

1000 hours on my F225txrd in the three years I've owned it - on nothing but E-10 -

zero problems.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  I have had one problem in ten years of using E-10 - entirely due to a 2005 era Mercury Quicksilver primer bulb hose being unsuitable.

1000 hours on my F225txrd in the three years I've owned it - on nothing but E-10 -

zero problems.
                  I would guess that you are cycling that fuel pretty well. Over 300 hours a year is above average use. People that store boats for a period of time seem to have issues.

Comment

that is the key.
                    cycle fuel.
                    I just serviced my cousins 5.7MPI Volvo with an sx drive.
                    since 2006 it has 14003.9 hours logged.
                    no that is not a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      that is the key.
                      cycle fuel.
                      I just serviced my cousins 5.7MPI Volvo with an sx drive.
                      since 2006 it has 14003.9 hours logged.
                      no that is not a typo.
                      I bet a bunch of these crabbers use E10. They run the sht out of their boats and they seem to have the least issues with fuel related problems.

Comment

I add Startron Enzyme fuel treatment and Sta-Bil with every fill and I only buy top tier gas from busy stations. Typically Sunoco or Shell. I carry fuel to the boat 90 percent of the time as opposed to buying old crap at marinas.

I have a friend with an old Luhrs with a pair of GM 350's. He never uses his boat, and I mean never. The boat has accrued less than 100 hours in the last 12 years. Yet, he never has fuel issues. When I asked him how the hell he managed that, he held up the Startron bottle. So, that was proof enough for me.

I got a nice email from Mr Injector today. Mr Injector - Home

He tells me that my injectors "had flow loss but cleaned up perfectly". So, in the next week or two, I'll get them installed and launch the next salvo against the idle issue. Looking forward to running the snot out of these engines and finding their happy spot.

Comment

I had the same issue back in 2010, my 2005 yamaha F250 TXRD would stall after idling or *****ing. Funny thing, it was only during warm weather, not cool or cold weather. I replaced all filters, re-routed the primer bulb straight up etc those solutions did not fix the problem. Wound up replacing the low pressure fuel pump purchased from this site, yamaha outboard parts. Had not had a problem since then.

Regards Ranger Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill,

I bought this pump. https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Outbo.../dp/B00XYXX8KY

I took the other one out when pulling the injectors. I might just toss in this replacement pump and see if it makes any difference. I've read several threads where pump replacement was the solution.

Comment

Same problem

Did everything mentioned. This is what fixed it. With this new check valve installed you,should be able to hear it bleed VST pressure when you pump the bulb.
                              RELIEF VALVE ASSEMBLY 69J-13490-00-00

Comment

Please let me know the position of that valve. I am unable to find it on the online parts diagrams. There are two very close to the low psi pump. Is it the one below the F-filter?

I swapped out the ones below the F-filter and got no change, so I am confused and wondering about swapping the others as well. Many thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X