No announcement yet.

225 Starves for gas after a long Idle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this releif "check" valve is zip tied to the housing of the low pressure pump. Its made of what apperas to aluminum.

Comment

Is the relief check valve same for 200 HP?

I'm having similar problems with my 200 HP Yami. My dealer told me it was a vapor lock and to unscrew the fuel filter on the engine, pump the bulb to "burb" the fuel line and retry when it happens again. On the second trip afterwards, I had the same problem. So I "burped the baby" and tested the throttle with the engine out of gear. It seemed to have worked. But when I put it back into gear and tried to get on a plane, it would reach no more than 4000-4200 rpms. At 4200 rpms it would slow down. I played with the throttle for several hours and eventually was able to get mid 4000 range (never really reaching WOT).

Comment

What worked for me while this was happening was to turn off the motor, prime the bulb, then turn the ignition. This initiates the fuel pump. I had to do this 3 - 4 times each time it happened and it worked most of the time. I don't see what unscrewing the filter housing would do except create a mess. If it's vapor lock then the fuel is vaporizing further up the system where the engine heat gets to the fuel lines. I had this problem last summer after topping off my tank with 200 gallons of Hess 89 with it's lovely ethanol blend. After I worked through that tank I haven't had the issue since. My dealer found one of the Yamaha vapor lock kits which I installed. My port engine doesn't have it - it's over a grand in parts to source. However, I haven't had the issue since I drained that garbage gas. Lately, I've only been filling up on the water with ethanol free gas. However, we are going to mini season in July and I'll be curious if stations in the Keys are ethanol free. Try what I did with priming the bulb and turning the ignition several times before you crank the motor and see if that at least gets you going.

Comment

couple issues here.
          the first being a thread thats almost a year old.
          second start a new thread and include the full model number of your 200.
          there have been about 11 versions of a 200 HP yamaha in the past 10 years or so.
          third is find a dealer that understands what vapor lock actually is.

Comment

I read your post again and I think you should have eventually worked it out, which makes me think something else may be happening. I had a "gelatinous blob" clogged up in my system according to my dealer. I assume it was in the vst. They cleaned it out and it worked fine. I couldn't get the motor to go above 4,000 thereabouts. This thing was clogging the fuel. They said they hadn't seen it before, but it was likely crud built up from dirty gas and/or the tank.

Comment

I see it all the time.
              clean 3-4 each week.
              takes about 2.5 hours to clean the VST and replace all 6 injectors on the F200 and F225.
              got another coming in monday with fuel issues.
              ran good last november,wont this spring.

Comment

F225 stalls after *****ing

HI everyone, I have been following this problem for quite a while, I am also having the same problem with my 2004, build date 2003, f225, only on my port motor, the starboard motor is not a problem. I would like to tell you of a problem solver that my mechanic told me, and it works. the VST gets air bound because of,,,possible air leak at primer bulb, which I have changed, but not ran motor since, or a faluty check valve, which I have ordered, I will let you know if changeing these two items does the trick. Back to what my mech. told me to do when this happens. The VST is located on the port side of the motor. on the side of the VST, towards the top, forward part of the VST, there is a scharder valve,(same as a tire valve) it is under a rubber plug which has a flat rubber thingie on the top of it. Remove the rubber plug, a pair of fishing pliers or long fingers work, then depress the valve with a pointy item, pocket knife, ball point pen, Etc., with one hand while pumping the primer valvewith the other. problem solved. Till it happens again.
                I will let you know how the replacement of the parts I mentioned work out. Dennis

Comment

your tech is a dufus.
                  that schrader valve under the rubber plug on the VST is for draining the VST.
                  open the drain and not much happens until you depress that valve to allow air into the VST as the fuel drains.
                  has NOTHING to do with filling the VST.
                  that check valve is the one located at the airbox.
                  thats how the system vents in normal operation.

Comment

this is the same issue i have been having i think. please keep ideas coming!

Comment

HI everyone, I just wanted to tell you that I have solved the problem. I replaced the primer bulb and the relief valve and the problem has gone away. I have also gained 200 RPM at idel position. I can only assume that I have been sucking air at the primer bulb for a long time. MY mechanic suggested that I use the Mercury primer bulb, so that is what I did. I changed the relief valve, AKA check valve, and I think I waisted $100. I took it apart and there is nothing inside that could go wrong, I should have only done one thing at a time, then I would know for sure. I would only suggest that you change the relief valve after you replace the primer bulb, and you still have probleme.
                      Dennis

Comment

Dennisg,

I too have a fuel starvation issue. I changed the primer bulb and still have the problem. I will check the relief valve this weekend to see if it is damaged.

I do not believe your idle should have changed. The computer controls the idle to between 650 and 750rpm. There are certain error codes that will cause the engine to run at 900 rpm (200rpm higher than normal). It may be possible that you disconnected a sensor during the valve removal. Just a thought.

Comment

typically its the intake air temp sensor that getts forgotten.
                          double check it got reconnected.

Comment

thanks guys, I did forget to reconnect the air temp sender. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. But as far as everything else is concerned, the motor is running as it should. As far as my tech being a dufas, the fact that he showed me the schareder valve on the VST, and told me what to do if and when the problem happened again, he was right on the money. After doing what he told me , the motor started and ran fine the rest of the day, as long as it did not idle for longer than 15 minutes. The valve might have been put there to assist in draining the VST, but it is also used to purge the air from it , while filling it with gas, using the primer bulb. Maybe you should not be so quick to judge people.
                            Last edited by Dennisg; 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I have the same problem on a 2010 225 four stroke. I just ordered the check valve. Things I have done and it has not worked.

1. clean tank = tank was spotless

2. change fuel filter/ water separator / primer ball = all in great shape

3. clean the gas vent = not clogged

4. ran the boat without the gas cap = same problem

5. check the fuel pump and they are at 40 PSI

I am hoping and praying that this RELIEF VALVE ASSY (60L-24460-0000) will work. My Valve gets here on Friday and I will install and run it all weekend. I will let you guys know if that was the problem. keeping my fingers cross.
                              Last edited by spanish sardine; 03-28-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Cringing, waiting for Rodbolt's reply.....

Comment

Working...
                                X