90 HP weak spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 HP weak spark

I am at wits end and hopefully someone can help. I have 1998 or so yamaha 90 hp in good shape. The end of last summer I had a hard time starting so after testing, put in a new CDI. Same problem.

I have a service manual and all the tools using a OTC genisys scope. The voltage on the coils are all about 10-13 kv, yellow spark. I tested:

Stator - resistance and voltage all in spec, looks good on scope.
    Pulsar - same
    coils - same

Cleaned all connections, disconnected harness at engine, battery all good.... Even tried disconecting the yellow pigtail on the cdi. I still have the old cdi, can anyone test or have specs?

Anyone?

have you cleaned/rebuilt and synched carbs? 95% of the time it will be fuel related

Comment

You say ohms and voltage good ,but that does not mean a whole lot to most people.
      Give the readings you got on all coils and CDI output and what meter you used to get the readings.

If it was not with a Peak reading voltmeter designed for these ignitions or a DVA adapter with a regular DMM these reading may not match up to the manuals specs. because that is what they given for.

The volts in will have a effect on the output.

Comment

I finally got down to the boat with the scope and dmm again. The pulsar showed defective - resistance good, but voltage output only 0.8v, the book says 5-7v. I ordered a new one and let's see.

Also the CPS sensor only showed 2.6v cranking, but should be 5.5v per the book.

I am going to replace the pulsar first, anyone know what the reading on the CPS usually is?

Comment

Hi there how did you get on with your problem I think I have the same prob Q.1 what is the pulsar Q2 how do you test stator Cheers Al

Comment

Working...
          X