'97 150 TLRV T&T problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 150 TLRV T&T problem

I have this motor on a Ranger 461VS and last year without any warning the Trim would not bring the motor up while under power. So over the winter I have familiarized myself with this T&T unit and I replaced the seals and O rings in the Trim unit. I finished it yesterday but it is still not working correctly. Here is what it is doing.
    It is getting air into the system somehow. I put in all new Yamaha T&T fluid yesterday after the rebuild. I bled the system and it worked great. This morning I come out to check it and it has air in the system again. After I run it up and down a few times it gets better but you can still hear the air. When I open the reservoir cap, foamy oil comes out. I push a small hose (attached to the oil bottle) into the bottom of the reservoir and push out the foamy oil until it runs clear with new oil. I close it up. Run the motor up and down and it seems fine after about 3 or 4 cycles. It still makes a bit of air rush sound when switching over to the tilt stroke on its way up.
    I let it sit for awhile and went back out to test it and again it has air in the trim cycle again. Here is the odd thing about this whole mess. If I open the manual tilt valve and let the motor down, the whole system will load up with air again and I have to bleed it out again. Now I can't lift this motor at all with the manual valve open or closed. It will not budge. Others say I have to open the valve, drop the motor, leave valve open, open reservoir cap and then lift lower unit up manually to bleed the air out of the system. That is not going to happen! I even tried a hydraulic jack to tilt the motor and it just lifted the rear of the boat.

I am thinking that I have an O ring leaking on that manual valve assembly. I dont know what else it could be that is causing this problem.

Manually lifting motor up and let it back manually is the best way to bleed air out(top fluid off each time it's in up position), when you trim it electrically you are just churing air into foam and cycling back through system. The motor should tilt by hand with manual release loose, it is extremely heavy and may take two people to lift. If wont tilt up then check manual release valve.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yamaha tilt & trim problem.

Thanks for the info. It worked like a charm. It took at least four attempts before we got all air out.
      This forum is great!
      Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X