power trim problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power trim problems

can someone please help me with what to do.. my yamaha 90 4stroke keeps trimming up on its own. it is doing it more and more. i will shift to idle and all of a sudden the motor will trim out of the water. yesterday i barely got off the dock because i would trim down and it would imediatly come right back up out of the water! seems to do ok when im moving but really cant tell because i am driving. is this a switch or motor problem? it works fine by the way, sounds good.. just trims up when i don't want it to! any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

One of the trim switches is bad, possible gotten water in it, could be trim switch on motor, one on control box or the one in bow of boat if has one.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thank you...it is the switch on the motor..i checked!! going crazy all of a sudden. can i disconnect it and still bhe able to use the one on the control box...if i cant unplug due to corrosion, can i clip the wires going to that switch and not effect my trim switch on the control box?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinoler View Post
        thank you...it is the switch on the motor..i checked!! going crazy all of a sudden. can i disconnect it and still bhe able to use the one on the control box...if i cant unplug due to corrosion, can i clip the wires going to that switch and not effect my trim switch on the control box?
        If you look after you motor and drown it in crc regularly corrosion is never a problem, and everything work 100% all the time everytime . I have a 1988 115 and it has no corrosion at all anywhere and never has had .
        How often do you wash it down with fresh water ?
        The control box even gets a squirt of crc just about everytime it gets used ! What about flushing the motor ?

Comment

thank you..it doesn't have corrosion i checked..however i cant seem to unplug the switch. i dont want to pull on it too hard in fear of damaging wiring but the plug doesnt seem to disconnect easily. any advise?

Comment

It should unplug without any problems, you do need to get unpluged instead of just cutting wires if possible.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X