yamaha 704 single binnacle friction control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 704 single binnacle friction control

I have a yamaha 704 single binnacle control for my 85 HP outboard. I cannot find the friction control screw for the throttle (throttle bleeds off without constant pressure input). Where is the friction control screw? thanks.

charlie,
    I will quote from the 704 op manual (2000 model):
    " Control lever tension adjustment:
    1. Remove the cover from the body
    2. By turning in or out the throttle friction screw at the rear of the remote control box, the stiffness of the control lever can be adjusted. Turning the screw to the right makes the control lever stiff to turn, and turning it to the left makes the lever easier to turn.
    3. Install the cover on the body."
    The book shows one diagram, and the adjustment screw looks to be at the back and towards the top.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken, thank-you very much. I don't recall seeing that screw, but a few millers may have gotten in the way of that-----I"ll go home after work and take the cover off of the unit again an look at the rear section.....Again, thanks!

Chuck

Comment

youre looking for a slotted solid aluminum pin and it can be in front or back depending on installation. keep in mind it you ever get jarred from the helm and it is tightened down, your boat will not slow down, i set mine to slowly let up if i let go of it.

Comment

Does anyone know the trick to getting the cover off the 704 binnacle control body? Removing the 4 screws didn't seem to do it. I'm needing to get to the screws holding the base plate as they have vibrated loose.

Comment

after the 4 black screws are removed,put in either gear and lift off cover. the throttle handle needs to be out of the way and you will see small keep pins at the base, the cover needs to clear those.

Comment

Thanks for the reply...I will give that a try this evening. I noticed the 4 keep pins but didn't know if I should push them or pry the cover to clear them. Being a new boat I didn't want to tear up more than I fixed.

Comment

squeeze from front back to expand the sides if that makes it easier, the tabs will not break before the plastic and if its new, its not brittle. generally a good tug will get it.

Comment

Working...
                X