1986 150ETLJ - Oil overflows into small tank on motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 150ETLJ - Oil overflows into small tank on motor

my small oil tank on the motor fills up and over flows... the big tank keeps pumping even after it's full. i have to cut the power to the big tank, there's a wire i disconnect. i called yamaha parts place and they said there is an oil level sensor that sounds bad.

what i have done (the last couple times ive used it) is connect the wire, let it fill up, then disconnect it again. while driving there is a yellow light on the dash, indicating the big tank is unplugged i assume, it used to be green. when the small tank gets low, the light turns red and i hear a beep. i then shut it down and go thru the process again. that tells me there is two sensors, or maybe not? when the indicator goes red, it beeps and also the motor wont go over 1000 rpm, which is a good thing, i check it often, but it has done it a couple times.

what im asking if anyone has experienced this or may know what it is. the parts guy suggested the oil level sensor but also mentioned the oil control unit? if anyone has advice... ill take it.

thank you, mark rossiter

I had that happen on my 1986 115. It was the oil control unit.

Comment

That exact thing happened to my 87. i borrowed a friend's oil level sensor and it still overflowed. so a used his oil sensor module (the electronic box that connects to the level sensor) and it fixed it. also my fuel GPH went down as well as my oil useage(obviously).

Comment

when I say oil sensor module I mean oil control unit. it was about 200 bucks.

Comment

thanks for the info... mark

Comment

Working...
          X