No announcement yet.

Trim Sensor for Yamaha 150 Carb (2002)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Sensor for Yamaha 150 Carb (2002)

I have a 2002 Yamaha 150 Carb out board. When running the boat the other day i noticed the trim gauge was not accurate to the engine position. When the engine is in the full down position the trim gauge is still showing 1/4 trim. When the engine is up it shows 3/4 trim. Can anyone tell me where the trim sensor is on this motor?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

kmeister,
    The trim/tilt sensor is mounted just behind the steering/pivot tube. Raise the motor all the way up and drop the locking lever down and you should be able to see it. Squirt it real good with WD-40 and that may break away the corrosion.
    The arm on the sensor just follows the motor bracket as the motor is tilted up/down. Corrosion gets in the housing and the arm sticks.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken,
      Thank you very much for your reply. I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you know how i make out.
      Kmeister

Comment

kmeister,
        Funny how the maintenance goes on these outboards - my trim readout on my Yamaha digital gauge started acting up just yesterday - not completely broke, just off a little. Took a look and found that the ring clamp that the trim sensor arm hits was broke - was moving a little when the trim sensor arm engaged the shoulder of the ring clamp. You might want to check yours and see if it is doing the same thing. Go to boats.net parts catalogue and look under "bracket 2". No name for this part - so I will just call it trim sensor ring clamp. Gee, I didn't think you could order anything for a Yamaha under $10 !!
        I think I will order two!
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Ken,
          I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem. Looks like my outboard is contageous. I used your suggestion and soaked the sensor with CRC and it worked like a charm. Thanks again for your help.
          Kevin M

Comment

problem?!

Hello, my trim gauge is brand new for my boat but is not working. I've read posts on here about the sensor being seized but mine is completely free. The wiring is fine and not corroded but is still not working when the engine tilts. Any thoughts? Cheers

Comment

Trim Gauge

Similar problem. I have a 150 HP with Trim Sender 6R3 - 3 wire. Last season it was working, but I assumed was out of adjustment. When the motor was all the way down the gauge showed the tilt in the middle of the range. So, this year I wanted more detail and accuracy so I adjusted the Sender so the arm would push down further and hopefully give me more range on the gauge. Now it doesn't seem to be working at all.
              I've tested the sender - approx. 5V on the orange wire - and I have a pretty linear ohms readout between the black & pink wires when I move the arm throughout it's range. However, when all hooked up the gauge originally shows all white bars then within a couple seconds it goes all black as if it is way out of adjustment. So, with everything hooked up I manually moved the Trim Sender lever very slowly throughout it's range and found a very narrow (5 degrees) - where the gauge either shows all black or all clear bars - not linear at all.

Help - don't know if the sender is bad or the gauge is not interpreting the sigaal correctly or if there is another electronic component involved.

I'm ready to order parts but don't know which to replace.
              Thanks for the help.

Comment

this is a 6 yr old thread, start a new one and look at your tilt tube mounted cam

Comment

Working...
                X