Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Digital gauges to an '87 Yamaha 70HP

Kia Ora fellow boaties!

Firstly it's fantastic to find a forum like this - GOOD WORK GUYS!

I'm hoping one of you will be able to offer some advice on fitting digital gauges to my ageing '87 Yamaha 70 two stroke.

I love my boat almost as much as my wife, we've shared a lot of good times together. Sadly both of them are getting on now and bits are starting to fall off.

The speedo hasnt worked in years, and the rev counter for some reason started showing only about half of the actual rpm about a year ago, and has finally quit. I was going to wait until changing out the engine to get new gauges but my current motor runs so well that I really can't justify replacing it.

I've read lots of posts here on the forum about fitting newer Yamaha digital gauges so I'm hoping it is possible but just wanted to make sure!

I've tracked down some second hand Digital gauges over here in NZ - they dont seem to have any serial numbers to identify them but the rev counter is the type with a round selector switch on the rear instead of the group of switches under a blanking plug.

Is it correct that I'll be ok purchasing a new harness for the tilt/trim and oil warning lights that runs from the engine to the side mounted 703 control unit, and also a new harness to run from the 703 to the replacement gauges?
    If so does anyone know the part numbers for these harnesses? I'd also need adaptors to convert my old style single bullet type wire connectors to the newer 4 pin plugs if these are available?

Many thanks for your time in advance - and thanks for all the useful info I've already learned!

I can also be contacted on mal@titan.co.nz

Cheers

Mal

The 87 style gauge and harness are no longer available. The trim gauge(3 wire) in new style tach probably wont work with your trim sender(4 wire) on engine. If you can find older tach like yours that would be the best way.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X