2009 100HP 4 stroke making oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 100HP 4 stroke making oil

I have a friend who has a 2009 100hp 4 stroke which he's noticed is making oil. It wasn't bad originally but yesterday he had an experience which scared him. He was running through some shallow water so he had the motor tilted up but he was taking care to make sure the water intake was below the water line and he could see the water pump tattle tale spraying water. Then he got into deeper water and dropped the foot into the normal position and began to run hard and the motor started to act as though the protection circuit was kicking in and it quit. As that happened the over temp and oil lights were starting to flicker. He checked the oil and it was very high. It doesn't appear the engine had water in it. We're going to check it today and I'll report if the oil smells of gasoline. I understand that there's a few places gas could be getting into the oil, rings as well as some gadgets these 4 strokes have.

Anyone else having trouble with 100hp 4 strokes?

Any ideas on what to check?

Greg

Carbs could be flooding, fuel pump may have ruptured diaphram, thermostats stuck open or rings.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

100hp

This is a problem with a lot of 4 strokes not just your friends it just needs managing

It is fuel injected not carb
      what oil is he running use recommend manufactures oil not syn
      what revs is the engine getting used at is it doing a lot of *****ing and not reaching operating temp ?
      Is it over proped does it reach wot revs .

Also run YAMMY RINGFREE it works i was like most people and thought it was snake oil bullshit until i tried it in a df 140 suzi motor
      Last edited by mitch; 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X