Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overcharging/mystery wire 04' 90tlrc

Hi,
    I have an 90TLRC that overcharges to almost 17volts once that battery reaches a full charge. I have checked all connections at the battery and regulator for voltage drops and all are OK. I have changed the battery and a $100 regulator without improvement. Oddly if I turn on the bow light it charges properly under 15v. Its been doing this since new and its either I might forget the bow lights on and have a dead battery or leave it off and fry another radio and or DF/GPS. There is a wire (blue?) thats connected to the regulator wiring that runs under the crankcase to (sensor?)the other side behind the starter/oil tank area. I don't know what the function of this wire is or what it is connected to. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I feel your pain

I am doing the same thing. Years ago I noted that I was running 15+ volts and fried my battery out. I replaced the regulator and put in a new battery and at times the voltage still rose. I tightened as many ground wires on the motor and that seemed to help. But the first thing I do after starting the motor is to switch to the voltage reading on my tach so I can monitor the voltage. If it ever gets a little high, I turn on the lights (just the bow light because the aft light pole is not in all the time) and it is enough to bring the voltage down. To tell the truth, I am not sure that I ever needed a new regulator. So, if anyone is having trouble like this, try the lights before buying a $100 regulator.

Comment

Model number is the same

Bu the way, mine motor is a 90TLRY (year 2000) and 14.4 volts is the norm. Hope this helps or maybe someone has a better answer.

Comment

I have a 02 90TLRA. 14.1-14.4 is the norm on mine as well.

Comment

12 volt batteries

A battery cell is 2.2 volts x6 =13.2 v

Every one thinks that a 12 battery should be 12 volts in actual they are 13.2 just the way it is 14 to 15 volts is fine just regular maintenance of keeping fluid over plates and no letting them sit flat (as they sulfate up ) and will not hold charge .

Comment

Working...
          X