Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40 trim/tilt help needed

Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum and in need of some assistance.

I recently purchased a Novourania 13' RIB with a 2004 F40. It's actually a dinghy on my larger boat.

I towed the RIB home for the winter to do a few projects, clean her up and basically keep her out of the weather. While in the garage, the tongue end of the trailer lifted up and landed on the lower unit of the F40.

I was working on it this weekend and noticed that the trim tilt function now doesn't work. The solenoid "clicks" and has plenty of power, but the pump won't raise or lower the motor. While checking the problem, I noticed that the trim/tilt lever appears to be jammed - which may be causing the problem. The lever won't move - and I can't raise or lower the motor manually. The manual only has line drawings of the position the lever should be in...so it doesn't help a lot.

So....long story short:
    Does anyone have a picture of the lever from similar models?
    Has anyone had this problem and how did they fix it?

Thanks! Hopefully I can contribute to the forum instead of just asking questions!

from what you have said this is a power tilt and trim motor, so I am not sure what you are calling the tilt trim lever. can you attach a picture of it.
    Have you looked at the parts breakdown of your motor to see if it helps?
    Yamaha Outboard Parts 2004
    Does the motor run but motor does not move or is it just making a clicking noise?

Comment

Thanks for the site! I guess I need to clarify, as I made a mistake in my motor classification. My last motor was the 04 F40. This one is a '98 F50.

That said, it appears my Tilt Stop Lever is jammed up past the stop pins.

The motor is just clicking. It was working fine before this happened. I've read the threads about pulling the relay wires off and wiring them directly to the battery to test. I haven't done this yet because I think I need to address the Tilt Stop issue first. Any thoughts on how to address the tilt stop?

Also, I have a cracked lower cowling apron that needs to be replaced. Do I need to drop the lower unit to replace this?

Thanks!

Comment

Here are a few pictures of what I'm talking about:

Pumps

Port

Starboard

Comment

Looking at your pics, I would say the lever is fine. It looks just like my C40TLRX, it is a lever to swing into place once the motor is lifted all the way up, so that it will not fall onto your hands while working under it. The manual says it is not for holding motor up during transport
          The condition of the tilt motor makes me think it may be the problem, but like I said before test it and see.

Comment

Working...
          X