motor shaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor shaking

When I get in a light chop motor shakes pretty bad as if there is some kind of rubber bushing going out maybe. Is there some that possibly coukd be bad? Motor is an 02 115 4 stroke.

found it

I found the problem, it is the bushings for the ram on the tilt.

Comment

Motor shaking

Ok guys, change several bushings that had some play in them but now I'm thinking that it is the upper and lower motor dampners. How hard are these to change? Does the power head have to come off to change the top ones or can you get to them from behind the side cover?

Comment

Yes to change upper motor mounts you would have to remove powerhead.
        Last edited by boats.net; 04-01-2010, 11:43 AM.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

gaskets

Ok I ordered the mount but would like to know if I am going to need any new gaskets for anything so I can have them when I start this project. I've taken 2 stroke powerheads off, is a 4 stroke basically the same? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by empty shell View Post
            Ok I ordered the mount but would like to know if I am going to need any new gaskets for anything so I can have them when I start this project. I've taken 2 stroke powerheads off, is a 4 stroke basically the same? Thanks
            Most likely gaskets, then you start to think about the bolts that hold the motor mount in place.

I am in the process of replacing mine on a 1997 225. Upper and lowers. What a pain in the ***.

Tom

Comment

ive owned yamahas for 16 yrs and never and to change any...of mine.... yours is an 02... you sure youre chasing the right issue ?

Comment

I am with jb on this you sure that's the problem more like motor is missing not bushes

Comment

motor shaking

It is doubtful that these bushing are bad on an 02 model, I would suggest looking at a possible bent prop shaft or prop itself. Try tying it off on a dock with motor in gear and try to duplicate problem. Look in prop wash and see if this is where the problem is. It's easy to check and won't cost anything to try.
                  Hope this helps, Bill S.

Comment

Motor mounts

I believe mounts are the problem, only happens when I get in a little rougher water. Calm water it is fine. Not the prop or motor missing, I can trim the motor up and down on the trailer and can see it moving right where the upper mount is.Seems it shouldn't move that much. I never heard of anyone having to change these before but it looks like them problem to me. I just purchased the motor from someone that bought a new one, guess this is why he wanted a new one, didn't want to deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X