225 lower unit fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 lower unit fail

Its a 2001 225. Yesterday i was about 1 minute into my trip and the engine ****ed and shook, i immediately put it in nuteral and it died. Tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over. Had to use *****ing motor to get back. Got home and checked it out, turns out the lower unit was full of water. I had just filled it with oil the night before. The two srews and gaskets were still there. How could the whole unit fill with water in a couple of minutes. The thing is in nuteral but prop shaft is very hard to turn. I did a compression check on engine and it checked ok. I guess the lower unit seizing made it die. Any ideas the extent of the damage? I know it would be just a guess. What does a lu rebuild cost? Approximatly. Is this somthing most insuance policies cover?
    Last edited by CRL; 03-19-2010, 10:14 AM.

how can you check compression when the motor will not turn over?
    It all depends on what the problem is and what caused it, I thought insurance was for accidental damage not neglect.Take it to a Yamaha dealer and let him see what is wrong and what caused it.

Comment

who said anything about neglect, idiot. that engine is never been neglected. after i got the lower unit off the engine would turn over. no need to be a smart ass,idiot.

Comment

No need to get that way about it. You never said you pulled the lower unit you just said it would not turn over.

And as far as trying to turn it in to insurance you will probably have to have an authorized repair shop look at it and give the insurance company the info not just you.

you did not say why you changed the lube before you took it out this last time, so I was thinking you have been getting water into it and have not done the proper repairs.

There is no crystal balls telling others what is damaged in your lower unit, so how can anyone guess with out looking inside. If there was water sitting in it for a while there will be a lot of problems.
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Hey there's nothing in what i wrote that would point to neglect, you just assumed that. Thats what pisses me off. If your going to answer these questions please at least give answers that will help people not just some stupid comment just for the sake of commenting. If you don't know the answer just leave it alone.

Comment

Maybe leaving the vent plug out and letting lower unit fill with water along with letting that freeze up, could be considered neglect to some people and defiantly to a insurance company.

Comment

have look under the water pump and see if there any corrosion but kike you say it is a mystery how it could fill so quick, seal might be rooted ? . The water must be under pressure to fill so quick .

Also check the water pressure relief valve it may be jammed closed causing to much water pressure and forcing water in past the seal.

mitch
              Last edited by mitch; 03-19-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

what a D.H. you are. you don't have a clue what your talking about. just shut up and go away asswipe. not you Mitch

Comment

I same some lower units on an ebay store today, Some were new
                  might be a good choice.

Comment

This is from one of his earlier posts on this motor.

"I have a 2001 225, last nite i noticed the lower unit vent screw was missing. I don't know how long its been gone. The lower unit was full of water and its been below freezing for several days. If some how i got lucky and didnt damage the gears now i have to worry about a cracked housing. If it is cracked wouldnt the water/oil be leaking from the housing also what should i use to flush it with? I didnt see any metal shavings on the bottom screw so maybe gears are ok."

This is why I question what some of these posters say when it does not make any sense as to what is going on or has happened. All info needs to be given when posting a problem.

If it had been disassembled and checked out when noticed , there may have been more salvageable parts left and less cost for rebuild.

The only locked up lower unit I have seen was a Suzuki 150 and it took several hours of running offshore to lock up after the owner had a senior moment and forgot to refill after he drained it, and thought he would fill it back up after he picked up some lower unit fluid next time he went into town.

Sorry, I just do not like being called an idiot.

Comment

WTF
                      ok a flame war let it go i have had the same problem on i boats with this about a after market fuel pump .

The question was where is the water getting in ,one other point

changing oil is NOT NEGLECT is it.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch View Post
                        WTF
                        ok a flame war let it go i have had the same problem on i boats with this about a after market fuel pump .

The question was where is the water getting in ,one other point

changing oil is NOT NEGLECT is it.

Water was probably getting in from seals pushed out or destroyed from freezing water in lower unit or other damage from frozen water in lower unit.

Neglect is not looking into problem after finding water in lower unit and not knowing how long it was in there and then just adding lube and hoping.

Comment

crl please let us know what you find

Comment

Working...
                          X