1996 Yamaha O/B motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Yamaha O/B motor

I have a 1996 6hp model 6MLHU o/b mtr with a "built in" batty charger.
    I'm told that all 1996 Yamaha o/b motors came with a "built in " charger. (Don't know this to be a fact tho.) I can't find out any info from Yamaha about the charger but I understand I must purchase a rectifier (or Con*****er??) to make the charger work. It's seems strange that the unit isn't mentioned in either the Service Manual or the Owners manual. Contacted our local Yamaha dealer & he knew nothing about them--no suprise there!!
    All I have is a red & black lead under the motor cover. I had understood that the charger puts out about 6amps ac which is converted to 12volts dc .I would really appreciate ANY information (schematic?) on how these units work and do I have to purchase any additional equipment to get the unit to work. Thanks very much. Bill
    Last edited by Smokercraft 15; 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM. Reason: To make the question more understandable.

Yes you would need to install a rectifier, part number 6G1-81970-00-00. Mounts to engine block and connect green wires to green wires on alternator on motor, connect red and black wires from rectifier to battery.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

1996 Yamaha "built in" Battery Charger

Thanks very much for the reply. I FINALLY figured out the wiring for the charger. It turns out I DO have the rectifier (buried beneath several other wires under the cover) I have another Part # for the rectifier. It's from CDI Electronics (about$50) part # 157-664-61. As you say it's connected to the two green wires from the stator& the other two wires are the red & black. I've ordered a few hundred $ $$ from the Outdoor Network & been extremely pleased with ALL dealings with your employees. Again,thanks for your reply.
      Bill F.

Comment

Working...
      X