1991 90hp yamaha with 703 control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 90hp yamaha with 703 control

When I idle for 5 min I get a warning alarm from the control yet I have no warning lights that come on. I know it monitors the fuel gauge and oil level, what else would it keep an eye on?

Thanks Randy

Randy,
    Thermo switches - you have one, maybe two, mounted in the cylinder assy. They are small round rubber stopper looking thingies - about the width of a nickle with two wires coming out of them. They are designed to close at around 180 degrees f. to indicate an overheat condition. If you are above idle when this occurs, the ignition control will go into an rpm reduction mode and the alarm will sound.
    You are probably not getting enough water pressure from a weak water pump at idle. What does the tell-tail side discharge (pee-stream) look like at idle? When you are on plane? If it has been at least three years since last water pump overhaul, you might consider it.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,There was a stream coming out but really wasn't shooting out. So I took your advise and pulled the leg off to check the water pump ...missing 2 of 6 fingers.
      Thanks again.
      Randy
      I'll let you know the results this weekend.

Comment

Randy,
        Glad you found the problem - but now I am concerned where those missing "fingers" are. You wanna make sure they are not restricting the water flow. I would look up into the water pump tube and also pull the thermostat housing and look around there. I would think maybe a backflush might be in order to try and flush out the fingers, except that I do not know how to tell you to do it - maybe remove the thermostat and re-install the thermostat cover. Then remove the water jacket plug that should be at the top of the cylinder assy, and then try to hold a garden hose tight against the plug hole and hit the water jacket with some back pressure - I'm only guessing at this, and maybe another member can help us out here. Try posting again with "water pump backflush" as your title and see if you get any response.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X