1991 150 Pro-V lower unit oil and spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 150 Pro-V lower unit oil and spark plugs

Guys, this is my first on here as I just bought a 1991 Ranger with a the '91 150 on it. This is my first yamaha as I've always have owned Evinrude/Johnson's. I have two questions off hand:

1) What is the best lower unit oil to use? (weight/brand etc.) Is there is a big difference between standard gear lube and synthetics?? I normally use the quicksilver 2 stroke oil and the local wally world has several brands of standard 80/90 wieght gear lube?
    2) What spark plugs do I need? Serial numbers and any reccomendations on brands and gapping are appreciated.

This is my first yammy and I've always heard great things about these motors. Any other recommendations to check or change before I take it out for the first time this year.

Thanks,
    Justin
    justin@crucialidea.com
    Last edited by backdoc; 03-13-2010, 09:56 PM.

kroberts

I have a 2001 115 four stroke that leaks engine oil . Would like to know where it is coming from. Any history on this problem?

Comment

leaking oil

they had a few of those that the seal went out on the oil pump they were a warranty issuie at the time they can run a serial number check at the dealer and see if any thing was done wayde

Comment

Originally posted by backdoc View Post
        Guys, this is my first on here as I just bought a 1991 Ranger with a the '91 150 on it. This is my first yamaha as I've always have owned Evinrude/Johnson's. I have two questions off hand:

1) What is the best lower unit oil to use? (weight/brand etc.) Is there is a big difference between standard gear lube and synthetics?? I normally use the quicksilver 2 stroke oil and the local wally world has several brands of standard 80/90 wieght gear lube?
        2) What spark plugs do I need? Serial numbers and any reccomendations on brands and gapping are appreciated.

This is my first yammy and I've always heard great things about these motors. Any other recommendations to check or change before I take it out for the first time this year.

Thanks,
        Justin
        justin@crucialidea.com
        Yamaha's Gearcase lube would be first choice, the Quicksilver gearcase lube would be second choice.
        Use NGK B8HS-10 spark plug gapped at 0.039
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Amsoil Synthetic (about the same $ as the Yamaha gear oil) is hard to beat. NGK all the way on the plugs.

Comment

Working...
          X