Synthetic Oil use in 4 stroke 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Oil use in 4 stroke 200

Does anyone know for sure if usung synthetic oils in the power head and gearbox will void the mfg. warranty?

Stan,
    What does your manual say?

I imagine that you and your engine will be fine (maybe better) using a good synthetic of the proper weight.
    The riggers where I purchased my Yamaha 225 four stroke suggested synthetic ... problem is, these riggers often have little technical knowledge, and just repeat the crap that they've heard. Don't get me started with "professional" riggers ...

Good luck.
    JB

Comment

Stan,
      Check with your local Yamaha dealer - if I had a four stroke, I would switch to synthetics asap. I run synthetic (Mobil 1) in my trucks - am convinced of the quality. The next time I change lower unit oil in my outboard, I am switching to Mobil 1 gearlube - a well respected member of this board (Hamfisted) has used it for years and swears by it.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Stan,

I asked Yamaha customer service in Atlanta this question. The lady that answered it is not technical at all and couldn't give any basis for the answer but she said the engineers told her it's not recommended. Isked if it would void the warranty and she told me no.

I then asked her what the problem is running say Amsoil. She couldn't tell me. I will tell you I run synthetic (Amsoil) in both the crankcase and lower unit. I also run Amsoil P.I. instead of Ring-Free. Amsoil engineers told me PI exceedes Ring-Free in quality and it's about $14 a quart instead of the big bucks Ring-Free. Amsoil warrants their products against product failure resulting in damage to the motor as long as you follow their recommendations. I have not experienced any probles at all and have friends using it along the Gulf Coast. I have a friend that owns a marine repair business and if you take your 4-stroke to him for an oil change, it's gonna get synthetic. The Mercruiser 4-strokes that Yamaha builds for Merc have synthetic so I can't speak for anyone but me and I run it. At $2.21 a gallon for fule, I need to squeeze all the mileage I can. Good luck.

Comment

Synthetic 4 Stroke Oil

I like the the idea of Mobil 1 but what about the FC.W, API and NMMA certification for mobil 1...and are all mobil 1 the same. Thanks.

Comment

Synthetic 4 Stroke Oil

I like the the idea of Mobil 1 but what about the FC.W, API and NMMA certification for mobil 1...and are all mobil 1 the same. How does the temperture of operation play into the oil....4 strokes are at higher rev, but generally speaking operate at a lower temp than the auto...Thanks.

Comment

Amsoil oil not listed as certified with NMMA for year 2009..FYI

I e-mail the NMMA site after not seeing Amsoil listed as being certifed for 2009. And the email that came back stated:

Amsoil has not registered their oils for 2009 and therefore have no NMMA certified product.

Thomas Marhevko
              VP
              NMMA Engineering Standards Department

FYI ya'll....

Comment

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in my motor since my 1st oil change after the 10 hour break in......339 hours, no problems. 2004 90 HP Four Stroke........

Comment

Working...
                X