Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the proper operation for this lower unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the proper operation for this lower unit?

I have a 2003 75 Hp four stroke yamamerc. My question is this: When I put the lower unit supposedly in the neutral position (opposite the shift interrupt switch) the unit is still in forward. spinning the prop at this position has resistance in clockwise rotation (viewed from prop end) and ratcheting in counterclockwise rotation. Neutral seems to be with shift cable connection as far back as possible. spinning the prop here has no resistance in either direction but turning the flywheel moves the prop counterclockwise. If this is not the proper operation, how do I adjust the shift shaft so neutral is opposite the shift interrupt switch?
    Thanks
    Rob

Remove the shift cable from shifter on engine and set both control box and engine shift linkage in neutral and adjust shift cable end to align back on engine shifter.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I am not able to get the engine shift linkage to be in neutral when opposite the shift interrupt switch. The engine shift linkage is all the way back against the rear stop when in neutral. I cannot move engine shift linkage far enough to rear to engage reverse. I think I must drop lower unit and reposition the shift shaft extension protruding from the lower unit. How should I go about doing this? My thought is put put lower unit in neutral, put engine shift linkage opposite shift interrupt switch and try to align lower unit extension with nylon spacer on end of engine shift rod. Is this correct?
      Thanks
      Rob

Comment

If you did not have the lower unit off and this just happened all by itself you need to be looking for what caused it to be out of whack.

Comment

I have the unit off the powerhead. The shift shaft will move thru forward, neutral and reverse as it should. How do I align the engine shifter linkage so neutral is near the shift interrupt switch? I had purchased this motor to make any required repairs and then to resell. I discovered this problem while doing an inspection of the motor. Do I proceed as in my previous post? If not, what is the proper procedure? I cannot find it anywhere in the factory manual.
          Thanks
          rob

Comment

Working...
          X