99 - 90HP 4 stroke TACHO PROBLEMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 - 90HP 4 stroke TACHO PROBLEMS

I have a digital Tach/Trim gauge installed on my boat. Could somebody please tell me how to test the output TACHO signal coming from the motor as the gauge reads 0 RPM all the time

Check for ac voltage on green wire at tach, as engine rpm's increase voltage should increase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Tested for ac voltage on green wire at gauge as well as on motor after retifier and get nothing. Does this mean the retifier needs to be replaced?

Comment

Check stator to make sure is ok.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

sorry for the ignorance but is there a way to check output of stator, or are you referring to a physical inspection after removing flywheel

Comment

You would a peak reading volt meter or meter with DVA adapter to test output voltage and an ohm meter to test resistance of stator(lightning coil). Not sure which model you have, in 1999 Yamaha made a F80 and F100 but not a F90 outboard.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

You are dead right i made a huge mistake with the heading, the motor is in fact a 1999 90Hp 2 stroke - my humble apologies. Do the same tests still apply though?

Comment

On that engine you should get about 11 volts between green and green/white wires at cranking and 25 volts at 1500 rpm's.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X