No announcement yet.

Stumped 200HP Yamaha 1989 (Won't Start)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped 200HP Yamaha 1989 (Won't Start)

Went to the boat the other day to try a few things that were recommended earlier on the forum regarding my fuel problem. Started the motor just fine and let it run at the dock at about 1500RPM. After about 1 minute it was running kind of rough and it dies. I attempted to start the engine again with no success. I pulled the plugs and they are wet with fuel but there is no spark. I looked in my manual for a location for a main fuse in the ignition circuit and it shows that a 20amp fuse should be located above the rectifier under the main cover of the CDI Unit. Problem, there isn't one there. The only fuse I can find on the engine is over in the harness for the trim relay. I am assuming that this is probably something simple like a fuse because of how the problem just suddenly occurred. If any one has any comments or suggestions regarding this all will be appreciated. Thank you.

You found the only fuse there is on that engine, but the ign. doesn't operate with 12 volts and has no fuse. You will have to test the ign. system as per service manual.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

capj66,
      I see in your other post that you are looking for a flywheel assy and a stator for that 200 hp Yammie. If this has to do with your ignition problem, I would sure suspect the CDI unit before I would a flywheel or stator - my buddy just went thru that on a C115, and after replacing the stator, it turned out to be the CDI.
      Your Yamaha manual should guide you thru a test procedure to find out which component you need.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X