Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance

I have a '99 90hp Yamaha that I am the third owner. When I purchased the motor/boat there was no documentation or any idea of latest or if any tune-up work had been done. This is on a '99 17'3 Baystealth with a Solas aluminum prop 13.5" x 15 pitch. I haven't had any issues what so ever. The boat (with 3 people and gear) will run 32-33 mph and turn about 4800-5000 rpm, maybe 5200 rpm at best.

I want to do a good tune-up, or have it done. What the items that need the most attention? Spark plugs, water pump, impellar, cleaning the carbs...?

The boat doesn't plane out that great but it is manageable. I don't know if I should invest in another prop with more bite or a cavation plate.

Also the tilt/trim is a little weak. When I am making a long run the motor will slow drop down, I will see the boat speed drop and have to trim it back up...then 5-10mins later I have to trim it up again. Could that be low power fluid or a bad seal?

Sorry for all the questions just getting into this hobby. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

If you do not know what maintenance has been done then you will have to do everything you mentioned and maybe more to be sure the motor is good to go.
    Go to this site and check out the way your boat and motor should perform and see if yours is doing what it is suppose to.

Performance Bulletin Home

Your T&T has bad valves and leaking down.

Comment

Thanks for the link looks like i am off by 2-4 mph.

Comment

Working...
      X