Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Failures

Folks,

I have a 2004 25 Hp Yamaha 4 Cycle Outboard Motor. The water pump impeller has a very short life. Might anyone know why I have to install a new impeller every few hours of use? Is this normal for this model, or is there something wrong with mine?

Regards......Beedle

Hi,
    When your water pump goes out, either it will leak from the weep holes which are the holes drilled in the pump by the manufacturer or around the pulley. If that is happening then its your pump. The other thing to check would be your thermostat, check this by turning your truck on and leaving the lid of the radiator. check the temperature of the water in the radiator with your finger if it warms up in ten minutes then its not your thermostat, if the water level goes down ( like lack of water) then its the pump.
    [url=http://www.r4icarte.fr/]linker r4[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Beedle View Post
      Folks,

I have a 2004 25 Hp Yamaha 4 Cycle Outboard Motor. The water pump impeller has a very short life. Might anyone know why I have to install a new impeller every few hours of use? Is this normal for this model, or is there something wrong with mine?

Regards......Beedle
      The pumps usually last for years if run in clean water and not run dry( without water on them)
      If you start the motor without it in the water or without muffs the impeller can. stick and tear the vains off or spin the rubber loose from the shaft hub.

Make sure you buy and replace all the parts in the kit.

Comment

Never run motor without muffs or in water. That fries impellers!

Comment

Originally posted by braq View Post
          Hi,
          When your water pump goes out, either it will leak from the weep holes which are the holes drilled in the pump by the manufacturer or around the pulley. If that is happening then its your pump. The other thing to check would be your thermostat, check this by turning your truck on and leaving the lid of the radiator. check the temperature of the water in the radiator with your finger if it warms up in ten minutes then its not your thermostat, if the water level goes down ( like lack of water) then its the pump.
          Ha???
          We are talking outboards here not cars!

Comment

i would watch a pro do yours once as maybe you are doing something wrong, imp wrong direction etc...

and as for only running on rinse fitting, i have done this with my most recent pair of twins like this for the last 9 years and not one issue , but to each their own.

Comment

Working...
            X