Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with the 225 Excel Oil Pump Conversion Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with the 225 Excel Oil Pump Conversion Kit?

Does anyone know why there are two varieties of oil pumps for the 1989 Yamaha 225 V6 Excel?

One has check valves in the pump. Then there is a conversion kit that replaces it with a different pump - no check valves, longer driven gear, checkvalves inline etc.

Anyone know what the purpose is?

TIA
    Bill Smith

The new pump works a lot better the oil would drain out of oil lines when engine was tilted up on old pump causing oil to puddle in air silencer causing heavy smoke on start up and lack of oil to engine until oil lines filled back up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

When I pulled my old pump off, there was a small driven shaft that came out of the block.

I was sold a new pump/conversion kit and there was a much longer and I think larger shaft with it. It didn't seem like it would work. Am I missing something? Does that new shaft replace something else inside the block?

Yes, I had the problem with oil puddling. I decided to clean up my old pump and put it back on. I'll know soon whether that worked or not.

As an alternative to replacing the pump, some have suggested just putting the checkvalves inline with the old pump. What do you think of this idea?

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X