I Messed Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Messed Up

I'm an experienced boater, living in south Louisiana and I knew better, but I did it anyway. When fuel went to $4.00 a gallon and the snapper limit went to 2, I got frustrated and neglected my twin 1999, 200 HPDI Yamaha engines. When I put them up I did put stabil but it was the red and I'm not sure if ethanol had hit down here yet.
    I've gotten into scuba diving and want to get the boat going again to do some spearfishing. I am 100% sure I have a varnish problem, because I can smell it. I took the motors off my main fuel tank and put them on a small tank of mixed fuel. I drained the vapor separator of all fuel and cleaned the inline fuel filter (removed fuel).
    After pumping fuel back into the motor and getting a hard bulb I tried to start the motor. I know the bulb doesn't matter on a fuel injected motor, but the motor won't start.
    I'm reading about high pressure in my service Manuel, but this is where my ability starts to get fuzzy. I'm pretty good with directions and can probably pull this off, but can anyone tell me if I'm missing something when it comes to a varnished fuel injection system?
    I really want to be ready this year and I have started early, the fish are calling, I can here them! (Just joking, I'm not a fish whisperer)
    dcajun

when you turn on your key do you hear/feel the pump priming vst?

Comment

Half good new

I did get one of the motors running, the other though will not crank. I do not here the high pressure pump priming when I turn on the key.
      Are there any fuses associated with the HP pumps? Its odd one is working and the other will not turn on.
      Thx

Comment

Sorry the motor will crank but not start, do not here HP Pump

Comment

Pump maybe stuck. You can pull it and soak it in some carb cleaner and bump it with reverse and forward polarity to try and break it loose

Comment

Ill try it, does the pump actually come out of the vapor sep. tank?
            Thx

Comment

If you do not have a Yamaha manual get one for your motor. There a filters and screens all over that need to be cleaned or replaced to keep it from running lean and eating pistons. I am not an expert on those motors, I just remember reading about different problems people have had on different forums. It will do you good to do some searches and read up on the motors and high pressure pumps.

Comment

Diagnostic tools

Would it also serve me well to buy the diagnostic tools, hardware and software for that motor. I sure
                wouldn't mind running a check on my motors before I go offshore each time. If nothing else for
                peace of mind. They don't have many hours on them but they are getting up in age.
                Last edited by dcajun; 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM. Reason: wrong comment

Comment

Got both motors started and running, sounding kind of rough, ran seafoam through them to start the clean up.

Can anyone tell me the parts numbers for the diagnostic hardware and software needed to hook these motors to my laptop?

I'm sure after sitting for two years, I will have to do some parts replacement.

Thanks for the help.

dcajun

Comment

Working...
                  X