Fuel additives to combat ethanol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel additives to combat ethanol

I have a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke. What product does Yamaha recommend adding to the fuel to combat the efffects of ethanol?
    I've been told by other boat owners to only use 89 octane gas, but the owner's manual says I could use a minimum of 86. Is there any difference?

What's everyone out there using?

Use regular grade fuel(87 octane), Stabil Marine(Walmart $20/quart), and a fuel/water separator(Walmart $27), eliminate your ethanol/fuel/water problems before they occur. Good Luck!

Comment

Amen and second the motion on carb draining...just lets you be sure your carbs are free of water or debris. Good Luck!

Comment

By stating 'drain the carb'..do you mean to disconnect the fuel line from the motor and let it run until it stalls out?

Comment

Many carbs have drain plugs in the sides or bottoms that you can remove to drain the float chamber. I always drain mine onto a clean white rag to see what was in it. With the drain plugs out you can pump the primer bulb to "flush" float chamber. It's very good preventive maintenance. Good Luck!

Comment

With both my twin engine Bluewater and little jon boat...every other tank of fuel (87octane) I put in Marine Stabil and Startron Enzyme Treatment. Just removed my Fuel Sending Unit in my Bluewater after 6 years of ethanol use figuring it would be corroded and damaged, however it was surprising clean, with no rust or corrosion. The wiring actually corroded and the sending unit is now my spare.

Comment

K100 works for me.

Comment

Working...
              X