wbarrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wbarrs

Hi all, new to site and looking for advice. I have a 2009 4stroke 225 counterroating o/b. In a bonehed move while coming off plane, I bottomed out on a hard patch and chipped a 1" x1/2" notch out of the skeg.
    My neighbor works at a machine shop that heli-arcs aluminum and has offered to weld in some filler and grind it down to repair the ding. I will need to drop the lower unit to take it to his shop.
    questions:
    1. is this a good fix, or should I just live with it? There seems to be no effect on the handling of the boat.
    2. I have heard several opinions on dropping the lower unit. One says do it in forward, another that it must be in neutral. I've done impeller replacement on smaller motors before so feel comfortable with the job, just want to make it easier on myself by researching the job. Any tips?

You could just leave it and hope you don't hit anything with your prop, have it welded up or buy a Skeg Guard, a couple of bolts and you're home free! I'd probably do the Skeg Guard just for the ease and convenience. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
    X