Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine floods!

Yamaha 1989 115hp outboard engine.
    After priming the bulb and choking the engine, if the engine does not start within the first 10 seconds it floods severely and wont start for atleast an hour or two.
    Ive noticed looking at the carbs (all 4 barrels) when the butterflies are closed and the engine is being cranked, upon release of the choke button fuel pours out of the front of the carbs.
    I just had the carbs rebuilt and the fuel pump replaced. What could possibly be causing the engine to flood so bad and tough to start? What can I do to solve this issue...
    Could it be an incorrect air adjust screw setting?

Thanks

I would take it back to whoever just went through the carbs unless you are choking it to much

Comment

Thanks...
      Is there anything more you can add to that? Possible problems/fixes that generally are related to engine flooding??? Does the air/fuel adjustment screw have anything to do with that? Your help would be appreciated!

Comment

If it idles fine and runs fine after you get it started I would have to say the adjustments are fine. It maybe your starting procedure.
        I have no idea if all the adjustments have been done after the carbs were gone through and how well they were done, but if you have trash in the carbs or out of adjustment on the pilot screws. I would think it would effect the idle and running not just the starting

Comment

When you pump the primer bulb it should get hard because float needle valves have closed and no more fuel can enter carbs. If floats levels are set wrong or needle valves not closing then you could just keep pumping primer bulb and flooding carbs. Check that out first, then try to start motor without using the choke at all. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
          X