Ring Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring Free

I read on another forum that Yamaha Ring Free is made by Chevron and is called "Techron". Is this true and are the products identical?

Tks in advance,

Ed

i emailed Chevron they told me no they did not make ring free allso do not use techron in two strokes

Comment

I have read something like that before too.
      Who really knows for sure,I do not think Yamaha will come right out and say.

Comment

Ringfree was developed for Yamaha by the Oronite Additives division of Chevron. The Ringfree product is similar but not identical to the automotive Techron. Go to: Marine Fuel Additives for more information on this subject. I use the Techron once or twice a year in my car, but use the Ringfree all the time in my outboard motor. Ringfree is some different from the other Marine Fuel Additives, which are mostly Petroleum Naphtha, Stoddard Solvents, mineral spirits, alcohol, like Seafoam, etc. Good Luck!

Comment

Oronite Additives division of Chevron is about 3 miles from my house!! I actually know a bunch of people that work there.......Maybe a can get some free samples...or a 55 gal drum!! hehehe

Comment

Why can't you use Techron in a 2-stroke?
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

The best information that I've gotten so far on these products is that the Techron is formulated for automotive applications and the Ringfree is for outboard/marine applications. Looking at each product, the Ringfree does appear a bit "thicker" or more concentrated. Maybe they're the same or just similar, but unless you knew someone at Oronite that could tell you for sure, then all you can do is keep them separate for intended applications. Oronite Additives has quite a history in the area of fuel additives and seem to know what they're doing. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                Why can't you use Techron in a 2-stroke?
                I have wondered the same thing myself. When I get gas at the local Chevron station it clearly states that is has Techron in it. However, there are no warnings about not using their gasoline in two stroke engines.

Comment

I use the Chevron gas in my cars mostly because of the "contains Techron" on the pump, but you got to believe that the amount they put in the pump gas is a very low dosage, especially for modern clean burning automotive engines. I don't know how much impact that level of Techron could have on a 2 stroke outboard motor, probably not much, but it sure can't hurt. I'll still put my Ringfree in at about an ounce per 10 gallons, but I really use more than that just to be sure, probably an ounce per 6 gallons. So far, so good!

Comment

markle

I've used chevron-techron in my cars+trucks for years.Didn't know itwas a no-no in my 2-stroke outboard!Been doin' that for years too! If it ain't broke?

Comment

I'm confident that Techron would not damage an outboard motor,or any motor, but the "marine specific" Ringfree product is designed to have some advantages for the outboards, especially 2 strokes with oil in the fuel. At a "deposit prevention" dosage of 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gas, it's a small price to pay compared to stuck piston rings or a new power head. Good Luck!

Comment

I'm confident that Techron would not damage an outboard motor,or any motor, but the "marine specific" Ringfree product is designed to have some advantages for the outboards, especially 2 strokes with oil in the fuel. At a "deposit prevention" dosage of 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gas, it's a small price to pay compared to stuck piston rings or a new power head. Good Luck!

Comment

Yamaha Ring Fee is similar to Techron and Techron Concentrate. The main deposit control additive is the same. Techron and Techron concentrate are designed for automotive four-stroke engines as a deposit control additive. Yamaha Ring Free is formulated specifically for two-stroke engines, and is not marketed by Chevron.

The amount of Techron that is in Chevron gasolines should be beneficial for two cycle engines. All Chevron grades of gasoline contain Techron.

Good, quality, detergent cleansing action will be realized with Chevron gasoline in your engine without any concern.

Techron Concentrate Plus fuel additive is not recommended for 2-cycle engines, which require oil to be mixed with the gasoline. This is because the very high level of Techron in Techron Concentrate may possibly interact with additives in the oil that is added to the gasoline. In practice, this is very unlikely to occur.

Regards,

ChevronTexaco Fuels Technical Service

Comment

The amount of Techron from pump gas not likely to hurt any motor, and most likely would help, but for 2 stroke outboards Ringfree is designed and proven to prevent carbon sticking on piston rings. At the "deposit prevention" dosage of 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gas, it's a lot cheaper than carbon stuck rings,repairs, new power heads. etc. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks mrpontoon,

Does this mean Chevron does not recommend ring free for 4 stroke Yamaha outboards?

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X