HPDI Fuel Pressure Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPDI Fuel Pressure Question

In the Yamaha Service Manual it says to check fuel pressure within 5 seconds after start switch is turned on and that the pressure should be 50.8 psi. After 5 seconds the pressure should be 43.5 psi. Then after warming up the engine the pressure while running should be 50.8.

On my engine the pressure within 5 seconds is 100 psi. After 5 seconds the pressure drops down to zero. While running the pressure is upwards of 100 psi.

My questions. Should the pressure regulators be operating within 5 seconds to keep the pressure down to the 50.8 specified? Then how long should it hold the specified 43.5 psi before leaking down?

The manual also says to test the regulators by applying vacuum to the pressure regulators and that at the specified level fuel pressure reduces.

What is the "specified vacuum level"? I can't find it anywhere in the manual.

I apologize for the wordy post but hope that I got my point out there. This has been an incredibly frustrating couple of weeks...

Need to remove electric fuel pump from VST and check oring where pump fits into housing, probably broken or installed incorrectly. Once that is repaired it should hold pressure, then recheck fuel pressure.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Are you talking about the little oring where the pump output goes, or the larger one that holds the pump itself in place?

Comment

It's number 28 in this diagram Yamaha Outboard Parts 2005 Z200TXRD VAPOR SEPARATOR 1 Diagram
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Again, is the 100 psi pressure coming out of the VST excessive? The manual says 50.8psi. That appears to be a specific number not a minimum...

Comment

Yes but you have to retest after repairing fuel pump connection.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Okay, I bought fuel regulators from you guys and installed them. Fuel Pressure now is just over 50 and holding when running at up to 1500 rpm. Motor still dogs out above that. Ran the diagnostic and it shows the fuel rail pressure at 1000 when started but drops down after running for a moment or two. Disconnecting the fuel hose from the mid filter canister just after the VST shows a good quantity of fuel coming out of that filter. What next?

Comment

fuel pressure

Try running engine on separate tank there may be a vacuum problem in tank,anti siphon valve, clogged line or overflow vent!!

Comment

Tried a different supply, no better. Lift pump pressure holds at 6 psi, electric pump pressure holds at 50. The restriction appears to be going into the fuel compressor. Is there some type of screen or filter at or just inside the high pressure pump?

Comment

There is filters inside high pressure pump but they are not replaceable, you can send it off to be rebuilt.

Flagship Marine Engines Co., Inc.
                    200 E. Ann St.
                    Punta Gorda, FL 33950-6006
                    Ph: 1-888-282-2840
                    E-mail questions to:
                    info@flagshipengine.com
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

If you do a search on here there is some info that might help. The screen in the high pressure pump needs to be dealt with. It is said it is not serviceable but there are some things to test before sending your pump in for a rebuild wnen just the filter is the issue. In my instance the filter was not clogged but it was affected by the ethanol in the fuel. What it did id soften the plastic strainer enough to allow the 50+ psi from the vst to expand the strainer in the bore causing it to restrict incoming fuel and lowering the high pressure pump output.

Comment

here is a good post.
                        http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...p-th10974.html

Comment

Working...
                        X