Yamaha 85 fuel rate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 85 fuel rate.

Hi, i have just bought an 18ft dory with a yamah 85ae on the back. Tok it out for the first time this weekend and went thru nearly 40 ltrs of fuel in about 2hrs flat out. seems a lot to me? I noticed fuel spitting from the exhaust leaving a slick when were in the marina. Any body have any ideas? is running too rich the sparks are new and were wet with fuel and at points it sounded as though it was flooding itself

bad fuel pump

Comment

Thank you, i will try replacing that.

ben

Comment

unbolt it first, pump ball, if fuel comes out of rear vac port then replace.

Comment

Thanks Will Try That I Unolted It And Brought It Home If I Block The In Tube And Blow Through The Out Tube Air Comes Out The Back Hole But I Will Re Connect And Try That.

Cheers

Comment

tried that and yes lots of fuel came out of the vacume hole. So i will replace that. When i took the sparks out at the time they were all wet. so although cylinder 3 is the one that works the pump would you think that the mixture s too rich anyway and needs to be leaner?

ben

Comment

Once you replace the pump run it for a while with new plugs and see how they look, they will tell you if it is running rich or lean.
              Just a rule of thumb is any motor run at WOT will suck fuel at a rate close to 10% of the HP in gallons per hour.
              85 hp =8.5gallons
              You need to find what RPM is most fuel efficient for your boat and motor the way you load it(weight). If you run it too lean it will eat the pistons, so factory settings are the best with a little twike if needed. But a clean fuel system and proper timing will give years of service

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice.

cheers

ben

Comment

Working...
                X