Conversion to Electric Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion to Electric Start

I have an 89 Yamaha 30 tiller that I would like to convert to electric start. The owner before me has already added a Yamaha externally mounted rectifier that is putting out charging voltage. Not sure how that works, if there is a wire going to the lighting coil or what. Anyway, wondering if all I need is the correct flywheel, starter, starter bracket (I think), and a solenoid (I was thinking of using an automotive one since I have one around). Then I could use whatever type of starting key I want too. Would this work? Is the underside of the electric start flywheel with teeth the same as the one set up for the manual pull starter? Thanks for reply!

You would need everthing on this diagram Yamaha Outboard Parts 1989 30ELF STARTING MOTOR (30E) Diagram
    Flywheel from this diagram Yamaha Outboard Parts 1989 30ELF GENERATOR (30E) Diagram
    Would need everthing on this diagram except for Rectifier and Choke solenoid. The parts list and image are backwards on this link use image on this link Yamaha Outboard Parts 1989 30ELF ELECTRIC PARTS CDI UNIT Diagram and part number list on this linkYamaha Outboard Parts 1989 30ELF ELECTRIC PARTS (30E) Diagram
    We will get this corrected.
    Last edited by boats.net; 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Gentlemen:

I am new to this forum and way of communication so I apologize if I stumble a bit here...

I want to convert a manual start what I believe to be 30 hp yamaha motor to electric start. Model number is 30SH....Serial number is 6j8S101755. Is there a kit available or a listing of parts for this conversion. Would anyone know the best place to get the parts. I live in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Thanks
      Basscat1

Comment

Yamaha doesn't offer a conversion kit, you need same parts as Buckriverjd did to convert, refer to above post.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          Yamaha doesn't offer a conversion kit, you need same parts as Buckriverjd did to convert, refer to above post.
          I have a 25MSHD mfg 03/05. Is there an electric start conversion kit for my motor? or is there a parts list of what I need to do in order to make my engine electric start?

Thanks

Comment

No conversion kit available from Yamaha.

No conversion parts list/instructions available from Yamaha.

You can use the parts catalog to determine the needed parts. You more than likely will then discover that it might be more cost effective to sell your motor and buy an electric start version.

Comment

OK Thanks for the insight.

Comment

I have a 25 msht and would like to covert to electric start. Has starter bracket already. What other part #should do I need

Comment

Working...
                X