vent screw gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vent screw gone

I have a 2001 225, last nite i noticed the lower unit vent screw was missing. I don't know how long its been gone. The lower unit was full of water and its been below freezing for several days. If some how i got lucky and didnt damage the gears now i have to worry about a cracked housing. If it is cracked wouldnt the water/oil be leaking from the housing also what should i use to flush it with? I didnt see any metal shavings on the bottom screw so maybe gears are ok.

Need to fill it with oil, run it for awhile and change oil again or everthing in gearcase will rust.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

If it's saltwater then refill,run, drain and then do it again. Saltwater is really rough on gears and bearings. How long has vent screw been gone? Maybe someone forgot to replace it during last oil change? Good Luck!

Comment

No its freshwater, i guess it fell out the last time i went fishing. I didnt notice anything different when i was out last. Maybe i got lucky. Im the one who filled it last so its my mess up.

Comment

With freshwater you should be fine. With the vent plug out it would take quite a while for most of your lower unit oil to leak out and be replaced with water. You probably had a water/oil emulsion in there that still lubricates the gears and bearings. You're probably going to luck out on this, I hope so!

Comment

Me too, thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...
            X