02 TLRA 90 Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 TLRA 90 Oil Leak

Motor runs great with no complaints. I have a slight leak (two-stroke oil) leaking from the pivot point of the engine. Any ideas? At this point I'm thinking its the output shaft bushing but not for sure. Please see attached pics.

Thanks, Ryan
    Attached Files

It's probably leaking from oil tank on engine, check oil tank and air silencer on front of carbs for oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Looks like marine grease oozing fom those upper pivot poin bearings, mine does that every time I grease the pivot point zerk fitting. There's always a blob of grease there, probably helps keep the water out of the bearing. Try pumping that zerk fitting and watch that area to see it ooz out! Good Luck!

Comment

make sure recirc hoses are hooked to silencer

Comment

I forgot to mention that the oil tank has been removed. I'll try to find a diagram of the recirc hoses that are supposed to be hooked to the silencer ??

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
            Looks like marine grease oozing fom those upper pivot poin bearings, mine does that every time I grease the pivot point zerk fitting. There's always a blob of grease there, probably helps keep the water out of the bearing. Try pumping that zerk fitting and watch that area to see it ooz out! Good Luck!

I've greased that zirk several times, the grease I use is not that color. I thought the exact same thing myself. I'm almost positive its yamalube. I have heard that the output bushing/seal can cause this same issue, but can't be for sure. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

No Oil Tank

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
              It's probably leaking from oil tank on engine, check oil tank and air silencer on front of carbs for oil.
              My outboard has had the oil tank removed by a previous owner.

Comment

Anyone?

Anyone else have any ideas? It's most definately two cycle oil.

Comment

Could it be from the oil pump area? Is the oil pump still there? If it is you need to read up on what can happen to a oil pump if there is no oil to lubricate the moving parts.

How about oil in the silencer pooling after the fuel mix evaporates? There is some that sprays out of the carbs when running high RPMs.

Comment

Oil Leak

Yes, the oil pump is still on the engine but is not being driven. It's only there to plug the hole. I've removed the gear.

I'll check the silencer....good point.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by rkmartin View Post
                      Yes, the oil pump is still on the engine but is not being driven. It's only there to plug the hole. I've removed the gear.

I'll check the silencer....good point.

Thanks for the reply.
                      I have a simular oil leak from somewhere to but i dont worry about it . I tryed putting paper towls under the motor inside the cowl to find where it was dripping from but couldnt find a thing . Its not excessive enough to worry .

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                        X