Steering cable help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering cable help needed!

I have 89’ Yamaha 90 that needs a steering cable. The old one was so bad it didn’t even move. At the time I removed the old cable I didn’t know how to do it so I cut the cable at the nut and unscrewed it. I thought the cable would just slide out; I was wrong. I looked at the cable and noticed the portside of the steering shaft was much thicker than the starboard side. I looked as if there was a shaft within a shaft. After about an hour of looking at it I started to unscrew the thicker shaft and it unscrewed the thinner shaft out if the steering cable sheath (black cable cover for lack of a better word). It appeared the inner cable is to be pulled out and installed from the portside to the starboard side. Then the black cable sheath is installed over the inner cable then crewed onto the steering tube in the motor.

I just received my new Teleflex NFB steering kit and I can figure out how the cable is to be installed. I thought the cable unscrewed from the cable sheath and installed like I did the old one. I can’t get the new cable apart to install it the same way.

To make a long store short; how do I install a new cable into my motor?

Thanks

You dont take the new cable apart. You need to get the old cable out of the tilt tube on engine, clean the tilt tube the cable should slide inside tube freely if not the tilt tube may have to be reamed to clean up rust inside tube.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X