motor differences 40/50 h.p jet drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor differences 40/50 h.p jet drive

Hey guys I have a 40MJQH and would like to know if the 40 h.p jet will bolt onto a 50 h.p if so what model yrs are interchangable?
    Is the 40 h.p the same motor as the 50 h.p. but the 50 h.p has a few internal differences to gain the additional 10 h.p.
    and if so would it be easier to just modify the 40 h.p. into a 50 h.p. if it is basically the same motor?

I'm just thinking out loud for now but may venture to do a h.p upgrade in the future

Thanks for any input that you've provided
    Last edited by boss hog; 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM.

A 1992 would be a 40MJHQ not a 40MJQH.

I believe there is a difference in the carbs, reeds,plugs, and exhaust tube. Same bore and stroke but need more fuel and air into and out of motor to increase HP. There may or may not be a difference in the timing.
    It is usually best to buy the motor you want or need instead of trying to change out everything. That is why it is best to drive a boat before you buy, just to see if it is what you want. The motor is usually the most expensive part of the rig like you have.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      A 1992 would be a 40MJHQ not a 40MJQH.

I believe there is a difference in the carbs, reeds,plugs, and exhaust tube. Same bore and stroke but need more fuel and air into and out of motor to increase HP. There may or may not be a difference in the timing.
      It is usually best to buy the motor you want or need instead of trying to change out everything. That is why it is best to drive a boat before you buy, just to see if it is what you want. The motor is usually the most expensive part of the rig like you have.
      Yes yes stupid me 40MJHQ sorry for the typo,
      I'm not saying I'll need more power just curious for later if I do,

I'm with you on the trying the boat/motor first but where I live used small river boats are hard to come by so i figured I'd take a chance, All rivers/lakes are frozen over so no real chance to do a test drive but the previous owner was very adamant the motor was actually quick for this boat,
      If I do decide to upgrade because of a power issue will the 40 h.p jet drive bolt up to the 50 h.p and what length of leg would I look for

Thanks for your input 99yam40

Comment

The jet drive would work on 50 two stroke and would need a 20 inch shaft length model.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          The jet drive would work on 50 two stroke and would need a 20 inch shaft length model.
          Thank you for your reply

Comment

Working...
          X