trim tilt 40hp 97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim tilt 40hp 97

my power trim goes down fine but going up it struggles, then at times it will not go up at all or down. if I wait a few minutes (5 - 10 ) it works again
    got stuck one morning for about an hour & half would not go up or down (it was already up) then it started working again. could this be a relay problem?

You will have to do some trouble shooting and answer a few questions.
    Is the motor turning when the motor does not move or is the relay just clicking and the motor does not turn. You can usually tell by the noise from the motor.

You said that it struggles some time. what does that mean? Is the motor turning but slowly and then stops?

Do you have a DC ammeter to check to see how many amps the motor is pulling at different times? When it runs OK and when it struggles.

I have had a PT&T motor act up like this when the magnets came unglued in the Stater and would jam the Armature when it turned, but it would not work good at anytime.

Comment

uncle b

99yam40
      I'll listen after work today, but I believe it makes no noise when it stops moving. there is no noise coming from trim motor when botton is pressed.
      struggles I mean it goes up very slooow. at times it will then stop working.

yes I have a volt meter I'll ck this afternoon

Comment

A volt meter will tell you if it is getting voltage through the relay but will not tell you how many amps the motor is pulling.
        You can pull the 2 wires of the relay that go to the motor and touch one to positive and the other to negative or ground and if it arcs but motor does not turn then your motor is binding or locked up. Reverse the motor leads to reverse the motor direction. If the motor works fine by jumpering then the relay maybe the problem.

Comment

well not been able to get to yam 4o 97, will pull cover after work on tuesday
          thank you again, if the trouble is the re-lay & I do not have a owners manuel where can I go to see diagram of motor to identify the part I'll need
          I have gone to Yamaha.com & pulled upsome power trim diagrams , then electrical 1 & 2 but no relay for trim motor.

uncle b

Comment

6H1-81950-00-00 Yamaha RELAY ASY Price: $145.16

Comment

Working...
            X